Last updated November 9, 2021
Safe Return to Campus—Fall 2021
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has been felt around the world, including at the University of Prince Edward Island. Although COVID-19 has changed aspects of how we teach and learn, UPEI remains committed to providing high quality education, as well as access to engaging and rewarding learning experiences, in a safe and responsible manner.
Beginning in March 2020, the pandemic forced all faculties and departments at UPEI to adapt existing plans and develop new procedures and protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of students, staff, faculty, and future visitors. After operating under an essential services model for two months, the University unveiled UPEI’s Operational Ease-Back Plan—Planning the Way Forward in May 2020, which outlined a three-stage approach to returning to working, teaching, learning, and conducting research on campus. While we aligned the plan with guidance from PEI Chief Public Health Office (PEI-CPHO), the public health authority on PEI, we also introduced our own unique measures to ensure the safety of our vast and diverse community of students, staff, and faculty.
UPEI is now actively preparing to safely welcome students, faculty, and staff back to campus this September for the 2021 Fall Academic Semester. The UPEI Operational Plan for the 2021 Fall Academic Semester is summarized on these Safe Return to Campus—Fall 2021 web pages (see menu at right), and includes guidance, plans, and protocols that have been developed to support students, faculty, and staff. In many ways, Safe Return to Campus–Fall 2021 serves as a replacement to UPEI’s Operational Ease-Back Plan, which addressed the return to campus in 2020.
UPEI has announced that all faculty, staff, and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Read the latest update about the Policy and Process.
UPEI will re-introduce mandatory masking on campus effective September 8, 2021. Read more.
We continue to base our program delivery framework and campus operations on guidance from the PEI Chief Public Health Office (PEI-CPHO), The launch of the PEI-CPHO’s “Moving Forward in 2021” plan has confirmed that our current plan to return to primarily in-person classroom learning and campus life, with online components, will proceed for the fall of 2021.
Our learning community is very excited to welcome students on campus. Over 75% of our courses will be in-person, with the remainder being delivered online or in a hybrid format for the convenience of our students.
We know that our plans may need to change again, depending on evolving public health conditions and requirements, but we are prepared for that possibility. We will post updates to these web pages as soon as they become available and communicate any changes directly with members of the campus community by email.
University updates and messages
We actively work with the PEI Chief Public Health Office and other networks to keep the UPEI community updated about risks and health and safety guidance associated with COVID-19. UPEI began communicating to students, staff, and faculty about COVID-19 in January 2020, sharing appropriate information from official government sources. Messages to the campus community are distributed by email and posted to the upei.ca website (see below) and UPEI SAFE app.
Read previous messages:
- November 2, 2021 – Message to Students re: 2022 Winter Academic Semester
- September 14, 2021 – Reminder! (to University community): Please submit your Vaccination Attestation/Exemption
- September 13, 2021 – Reminder to students: Submit your Vaccination Attestation/Exemption Form
- August 31, 2021 – Proof of vaccination now required as part of UPEI COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
- August 30, 2021 – UPEI to re-introduce mandatory masking effective September 8, 2021
- August 27, 2021 – UPDATE: UPEI Mandatory Vaccination Policy and Process
- August 24, 2021 – Message from the President: UPEI implementing mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations
- August 24, 2021 – Message to students about mandatory vaccinations
- August 13, 2021 – Message from the Office of the V-P Academic and Research: Safe Return to Campus—Fall 2021
- July 26, 2021 – Message to Students: Important information for students travelling to PEI for the 2021 fall semester
- July 9, 2021 – Update on Mask-Wearing Guidance
- June 10, 2021 – Message from the AVP of Students and Registrar: UPEI encourages students get vaccinated
- March 3, 2021 – UPDATE: In-person activities to resume at UPEI, effective Thursday, March 4, 2021
- February 28, 2021 – Urgent Update: New COVID-19 measures at UPEI, effective immediately
- February 24, 2021 – Update to Students on the UPEI 2021 Summer and Fall academic semesters
- January 2, 2021 – Message from the VPs: UPEI to resume Stage Three operations on January 4, 2021
- December 6, 2020 – Message from the AVP of Students and Registrar: UPEI suspends in-person classes
- December 6, 2020 – Message from the President: UPEI moving back to essential services model
- November 26, 2020 – Updates re: Pre-Travel Requirements for travelling to and from PEI
- November 18, 2020 – Message from the VPs: Masks to become mandatory in all indoor public spaces on PEI
- November 2, 2020 – Message from the AVP Students & Registrar re: Travelling/Leaving PEI over the Holiday break
- October 22, 2020 – UPEI Health Guidance Update: Easing of Mandatory Mask-Wearing Measure
- October 7, 2020 – Message from the AVP Students & Registrar re: Travel requirements during Thanksgiving/Fall Reading Week
- September 25, 2020 – Message from the VP Academic and Research re: 2021 Winter Semester
- September 9, 2020 – Message from the President: Welcome to the 2020 Fall Academic Semester
- September 3, 2020 – New: Masks mandatory in UPEI campus buildings
- July 27, 2020 – Message from the President: Details for Stage Three
- June 12, 2020 – Message from the President: Step by Step
- June 5, 2020 – Message from the President: Details for Stage Two of UPEI's Operational Ease-Back Plan
- May 29, 2020 – Message from the President: Forging ahead to Fall 2020
- May 22, 2020 – Message from the President: Stage One begins Monday
- May 15, 2020 – Message from the President: A blended framework for the 2020 Fall Semester
- May 8, 2020 – Message from the President: UPEI’s Operational Ease-Back Plan
- May 1, 2020 – Message from the President: Planning the way forward
- April 23, 2020 – Message from the President: Updates about COVID-19 Measures & the Class of 2020
- April 16, 2020 – Message from the President: Supporting and taking care of one another
- April 9, 2020 – Message from the President: Signs of Spring
- April 3, 2020 – Message from the President: Let's take comfort in our united UPEI front
- March 27, 2020 – Message from the President: Building a stronger, more connected UPEI community
- March 20, 2020 – Message from the President: Update, reminder, and thank you
- March 17, 2020 – Message from the President: Update on COVID-19 measures
- March 16, 2020 – Message from the President re: Convocation 2020 and spring session
- March 15, 2020 – URGENT UPDATE re: COVID-19 measures at UPEI
- March 13, 2020 – Message to UPEI Students regarding COVID-19
- March 11, 2020 – COVID-19 Update: UPEI travel restrictions expanded, FAQ now available
- March 3, 2020 – COVID-19 update from the Vice-President Administration and Finance
- February 4, 2020 – Update on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus
- January 23, 2020 – Information regarding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus infection outbreak in China