Awards and Honours - Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
Alumni Awards and Recognition
UPEI recognizes its outstanding alumni through various events and awards.
Read about our various alumni awards: Distinguished Alumni Award, Inspiring Young Alumni Award, and the UPEI Alumni Association Legacy Award.
Atlantic Award of Excellence in Veterinary Medicine and Animal Care
Established in 2005, this annual award recognizes excellence in veterinary medicine and animal care in Atlantic Canada.
Past recipients include:
- Dr. Ross K. Ainslie (2005)
- Dr. George Irving (2006)
- Dr. Bud Ings (2009)
- Dr. Hubert Bennett (2010)
- Dr. James Goltz (2011)
- Dr. Bert Stevenson (2012)
- Dr. Jim Berry (2013)
- Dr. Ernie Prowse (2014)
- Dr. Hugh Whitney (2015)
- Dr. Alice Crook (2016)
- Dr. Helene Van Doninck (2017)
- Dr. Étienne Côté (2018)
- Dr. Eric Carnegy (2019)
- Dr. Gary Conboy (2021)
A call for nominations will be issued in early December each year. The deadline for applications is January 31.
Honourable Eugene F. Whelan Green Hat Award
Established in 2000, this annual award recognizes individuals who have played direct roles in the growth of the Atlantic Veterinary College and who have supported its vision, reputation, and continued success. It is the greatest honour bestowed by the College.
Past recipients include:
- Honourable Eugene F. Whelan and Honourable James Lee (2000)
- James C. Johnson and Dr. Peter Meincke (2001)
- Harold Raymond Godfrey (2002)
- Dr. Kenneth F. Wells and Dr. Albert (Bud) Ings (2003)
- Honourable Daniel J. MacDonald and Dr. E. Errol I. Hancock (2004)
- Clive Stewart and Barry MacMillan (2006)
- Honourable John M. Buchanan and Honourable Alex B. Campbell (2007)
- Dr. Dennis Howell and Jean MacDonald (2008)
- Dr. Robert A. Curtis (2009)
- Dr. Reginald G. Thomson (2010)
- Mel Gallant (2011)
- Dr. Lawrence E. Heider (2012)
- Carol and John MacLeod (2013)
- Dr. Ian R. Dohoo (2014)
- Trustees of the Christofor Foundation (2015)
- Dr. Brian Hill (2016)
- Jewell Dale Farm (2017)
- Dr. Pierre-Yves Daoust (2018)
- Apple Valley Farm (2019)
A call for nominations will be issued in September each year. Anyone may submit a nomination. This award primarily acknowledges external stakeholders, however, retired faculty and staff members of the Atlantic Veterinary College may be eligible for the award. Active faculty and staff members are not considered eligible. All submissions will be screened to ensure they meet the criteria. Those submissions which qualify will be forwarded to the Atlantic Veterinary College's Dean's Council for review and selection.