Visiting Student Externship Program
Visiting Student Clinical Externship Program
AVC offers clinical externship opportunities to veterinary students who are in their final year of clinical studies at other colleges of veterinary medicine. As there are a limited number of rotations available, visiting students can apply for a maximum of six (6) weeks of clinical rotations through this program. Rotations range in duration from one to three weeks depending on the discipline. Please refer to our Senior Rotation Block Schedule when requesting a time period that you would like to come to AVC.
Applicants should be advised that rotation availability for visiting students cannot be confirmed prior to the following dates:
- Friday, March 17, 2023 for the summer semester rotations (May through August 2023)
- Friday, June 30, 2023 for the fall semester rotations (September through December 2023)
- Friday, November 17, 2023 for winter semester rotations (January through April 2024)
Students from AVMA/CVMA-Accredited Veterinary Colleges
Students in their final year of clinical studies that are attending institutions accredited by the AVMA/CVMA Council on Education can apply to the visiting student clinical externship program for up to six (6) weeks of rotations at no cost.
In order to be considered, the Visiting Student Clinical Externship Program Application Form must be received by the AVC Office of Academic and Student Affairs at least six weeks prior to the start date of the proposed AVC rotation(s). This is a fillable form but must be saved initially.
If one or more suitable rotations are identified and available, the Office of Academic and Student Affairs will contact the applicant and request the following items to complete the application:
- Letter of reference from your home institution confirming that you are in good academic standing and eligible to enter your final/clinical training year in the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine program
- Completed and signed Invitee Access Agreement for Student Visitors
- Proof of your pre-exposure rabies immunization in the past two years with a human diploid vaccine or a satisfactory rabies titre
- Proof of medical insurance coverage valid in Canada (for students applying from institutions outside of Canada only)
- Proof of English language proficiency (for students applying from institutions outside of North America only)
- Copy of your academic transcript from your home institution (in English, for students applying from non-accredited institutions only)
Visiting students should be advised that there is no guarantee that a seat in a particular rotation will be available. Seats will not be reserved until all of the above have been received and the application has been approved by the rotation coordinator.
Visiting students will not be paid during the period of their visit and are responsible for all travel, accommodation and living expenses.
Visiting students are expected to share in duties equally with AVC students. Scheduling of student duties and responsibilities, both during and after normal working hours, is at the discretion of the rotation coordinator.
Visiting students that require a formal performance evaluation from their home institution must provide these documents. If no other such form is provided, the AVC clinical rotation student evaluation tool will be utilized.
Visiting international students must comply with any visa requirements and must be personally responsible for all visa application procedures and fees.
Completed applications and documentation must be submitted to:
Office of Academic and Student Affairs
Atlantic Veterinary College
University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Avenue
Charlottetown, PE, CANADA