Career Services FAQ
I need help writing a resume and preparing for employment based interviews.
For employment purposes, have your resume reviewed or practice your interview skills by making an appointment with a student advisor.
I am interested in applying to graduate or a professional program and I need some assistance with the application process.
To inquire about graduate and professional school and the application process, make an appointment to talk with a career counsellor.
What can a career counsellor help you with?
A career counsellor may be a someone you can discuss the following with:
- Clarifying career goals
- Career options and possible paths to get there
- Your major choice and the career possibilities it can connect with
- Exploring the possibilities of further education, whether it be a professional program, graduate school, or college
- Assistance with writing a personal statement, letter of intent or resume review as it relates to apply to a professional program, graduate school or college
- Mock interviews as they relate to applying to a professional program, graduate school, or college
What can a student advisor help you with?
- Cover letter and resume reviewing as it relates to employment
- Preparing for an interview which may be for employment ***Please note you are only allowed a maximum of 4 mock interview appointments per academic year**
- Developing a job search strategy
- Exploring work integrated learning opportunities such as job shadowing, volunteering, service learning, and networking
How can a career counsellor help me?
Our career counsellor can help you:
- Explore what is holding you back
- Develop a career plan
- Research your career options
- Help answer questions like, what are my strengths and weaknesses? What do I want to be when I grow up?
- Explore your talents and interests
- Make sound academic and career decisions
- Critique your personal statement
- Assist with decision making process as it relates to advanced studies and/or entering the job market
- Prepare for interviews for graduate school/professional program ***Please note you are only allowed a maximum of 4 mock interview appointments***
- Fine tune your job search techniques
How can a student advisor help me?
- Critique your cover letter and/or resume
- Provide mock interview practice and information and guidelines related to the employment interview process (Please note you are only allowed a maximum of 4 mock interview appointments)
- Help develop your job search techniques and networking skills
- Develop experience and connections in professional settings
What should I do to prepare for my career counselling and/or student advisor session?
You may want to think about what kinds of questions you want to ask or what information you need to find out. Think about what your goals are and how much time you will have to devote to the work you will do with the counsellor. We encourage you to also bring any career related materials you might have, whether this be a resume, cover letter, or personal statement you would like to be reviewed.
Do you still have a question that our FAQ list doesn't address? No problem! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the career studio, Dalton Hall Room 209, open 8:30 am–4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.