Co-operative education combines classroom studies with practical work experience outside the university environment, enhancing students' learning by applying, testing, and observing classroom concepts in meaningful work situations.
Co-op students benefit in a number of ways while participating in the program. The program provides an opportunity for students to:
- Apply classroom theory and concepts in the workplace.
- Gain marketable skills and experience that will give you a competitive advantage post-graduation.
- Begin to develop your professional network and industry contacts.
- Earn money while you learn.
- Refine your resume writing, interview skills and job search strategies with ongoing support from the Co-op Office.
- Test out possible post graduation career choices
- Gain confidence.
- Add value to your Bachelor Degree with the Co-operative Education Designation.
The University of Prince Edward Island offers co-operative education programs in the faculty of Business and Faculty of Science.
As a Co-operative Education student, you will participate in three work terms in your field of study during your time at UPEI. Work terms range from fourteen to sixteen (14–16) weeks and students can take advantage of work term opportunities in all semesters.
The Co-op program prepares students for the workplace through a series of Career Skills modules that will help students with resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, workplace expectations and a variety of other topics designed to increase student success.
Read more about UPEI's Co-operative Education requirements in the Academic Calendar.
Many opportunities await UPEI Co-op students. If you have any questions about the Co-op program or how to get involved, please contact the Co-op Office.
Co-op applications for the 2021 intake will open on August 24 and close on September 19, 2021. To learn more about the application process, visit our Apply for Co-op page.
Contact the UPEI Co-operative Education Office:
Dalton Hall, 209 (Career Studio)
email@example.com | 902-566-0336
Kendra Mellish, Student Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org | 902-628-4397
Karen Trivers, Job Development Coordinator - email@example.com | 902-566-0794