Mental Wellness

The Canadian Mental Health Association describes mental health as:

“… striking a balance in all aspects of your life: social, physical, spiritual, economic and mental. Reaching a balance is a learning process… Your personal balance will be unique, and your challenge will be to stay mentally healthy by keeping that balance.”

At UPEI we encourage all students and faculty/staff to seek support if they have concerns about mental health.  We encourage the entire UPEI community to support others to seek help.


For counselling support, visit the Student Affairs counselling site.

Sexual Violence Support

For support, visit the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Office.

Helpful Resources 

There are several supports both on and off-campus for students, staff, and faculty of UPEI.

  • UPEI Student Affairs offers several resources and supports, such as personal counselling, chaplaincy services, academic coaching, accessibility services, Aboriginal student support, and much more!

  • UPEI Counselling Services is staffed by professionally certified counsellors who provide short term interventions personal, developmental and mental health issues including (but not limited to) depression, anxiety, relationship concerns, family difficulties, identity issues, stress, and emotional trauma as well as crisis response. When issues prove to need longer-term care we can provide help with referral and can offer bridging services until a referral is complete.

  • UPEI Student Health Centre can provide referrals to a psychiatrist, if appropriate, and discuss different options and supports available. The nurse and physicians can provide helpful guidance on how to improve sleep patterns, reduce anxiety, make healthier nutrition choices, and more.

  • Canadian Mental Health Association of PEI has a directory of self-help and community resources.

  • Health PEI offers Mental Health and Crisis Response Services.

  • The Canadian Mental Health Association has a peer support program.

  • Mental Health and Addictions phone line: 1-833-553-6983. It is toll free, available 24/7, and is staffed by social workers and registered nurses. 

  • UPEI Faculty and Staff Guide to Helping Students in Distress.

  • International Students looking for mental health information in languages other than English: Multicultural Mental Health Resource Centre and Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

  • University of Alberta Counselling and Clinical Services have several online tips, handouts, and booklets designed specifically for students

  • If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.

  • If you are unsure what to do about a health issue or if you need health information, call 8-1-1.