In accordance with the UPEI Research Ethics Policy, it is important to assess whether course-based research in the Faculty of Science requires ethics approval. All such activities involving human participants must be reviewed by the Faculty of Science Ethics Committee.
Mandate of Ethics Committee
The goals of the Faculty of Science Ethics Committee are:
- to act as a resource on matters relating to the use of human participants in course-based research within the Faculty of Science
- to produce and distribute documentation relating to the use of human participants in research to all departments within the Faculty of Science
- to determine, on a yearly basis, the number of research projects involving human participants which take place in the Faculty of Science
- to evaluate the nature of those projects and, if required, ensure that the proper documentation is submitted and filed
- to submit a report of its activities to the UPEI Research Ethics Board on a yearly basis
Ethics Committee Membership
The committee shall consist of at least three members. Due to the potential for a greater number of research projects involving human participants in the life sciences, representation from the Departments of Biology and Applied Human Sciences is recommended.
The term of each committee member shall be for a period of two years. To maintain continuity, only one member per year will be up for election.
Current members include:
- Misty Rossiter, Applied Human Sciences (Committee Chair)
- Travis Saunders, Applied Human Sciences
- Pedro Quijon, Department of Biology
Honours and Graduate student research
In accordance with the UPEI Research Ethics Policy, all Honours and Graduate students in the Faculty of Science doing research involving human participants must first apply for and receive approval from the Faculty of Science Ethics Committee and then submit their application to the UPEI Research Ethics Board.
In order to facilitate this process, Honours and Graduate students will complete and submit to the Faculty of Science Ethics Committee:
- UPEI Ethics Submission Form for Research Involving Human Participants, and
- Confirmation of Supervisor’s Review
Honours and Graduate Students will receive a certificate of approval from the Faculty of Science Ethics Committee, and this will need to be submitted along with their application to the UPEI Research Ethics Board.
The following documents are available for access for course-based research:
- Request for Approval for Research (.pdf) and (.doc)
- Guidelines for Course-Based Research Activities
- Department Checklist for Course-Based Research Activities
- Faculty Checklist for Course-Based Research Activities
Consent forms for human participants: