Integrated Dietetic Internship
Established in 2000, the UPEI Integrated Dietetic Internship is an innovative and progressive program. Students who qualify for this program have the opportunity to complete both the BSc degree program in Foods and Nutrition and the dietetic internship in just four-and-a-half years. The Integrated Dietetic Internship holds separate accreditation from the Foods and Nutrition program through Dietitians of Canada.
Completion of a Bachelor of Sciences (Foods and Nutrition) degree does not guarantee an internship position. General success in obtaining an internship depends on the following:
- Academic performance - students applying to the integrated internship program must have an overall average of 75% or higher.
- Involvement in community or extracurricular activities and special projects.
- Relevant work or volunteer experience - this does not necessarily have to be foodservice experience (although this is good), but you will need to be able to describe the kinds of skills and knowledge that you gained from the experience.
- References - faculty of Applied Human Sciences will prepare a composite reference for each student applying to the internship program. It is important to attend class regularly, participate in class discussions, and come to class prepared.
- Personal characteristics - evidence of leadership abilities, communication skills and self-direction.
- Essential skills - read about the essential skills and attributes for students in the dietetic internship program.
What do our graduates have to say about the program?
“My experience with the UPEI Integrated Dietetic Internship Program was a memorable one. Not only did it prepare me for the dietetic profession, it also increased my confidence and expanded my horizons.” - Riddhi Shukla
“The UPEI integrated internship program provides the ideal learning and training environment because of its personalized approach... The possibilities for placement options and therefore learning experiences, go above and beyond what you could ever imagine.” - Roberta Dowling
Resources and information for accepted students and preceptors