Register as an unclassified student
Individuals are permitted to register in undergraduate courses at UPEI, without having to apply to, or be admitted to, a specific program of study. This admission (permission to register) status is processed through the UPEI Application portal.
Steps to apply as an unclassified undergraduate student:
- Students will create an account at upei.ca/apply.
- Once account is created, start a new Undergraduate Application.
- Once in the application, students must choose “Undergraduate” as “Admit Type”.
- When prompted to select program, select “Unclassified Undergraduate Level Courses".
- Complete all required fields on application.
- In order to submit you will need to pay the $50 CAD non-refundable application fee.
- Once submitted the Registrar’s Office will review your application and be in contact if additional information is required.
- If admitted to register as an unclassified student you will be sent communications with your student ID and login information and instructions on how to pay the $250 non-refundable tuition deposit required to register for classes.
A student who wishes to register as an unclassified student must submit a complete application, and application fee, and register in courses by the registration deadlines specified in the Academic Calendar. This type of enrolment is described below:
The student is permitted to register but is not admitted to a specific program of study at the University. Previously admitted students may register as Unclassified Students, but such registration does not constitute readmission to the University.
Students who have been required to withdraw from this or any other post-secondary institution within the last 12 months are not permitted to register as an Unclassified Student.
Transcripts of previous post-secondary work, and proof of English Language Proficiency, must be presented to the Registrar’s Office if requested.
Prerequisites must be met where applicable. Checking for prerequisites is the student’s responsibility.
The student is subject to an initial maximum registration limit of 10 three-credit courses as an Unclassified Student. To register in additional courses as Unclassified, a student must seek permission from the Registrar’s Office and may be required to meet with an Academic Advisor prior to registration being processed.
Summer Session Unclassified Students may enrol in a maximum of two courses (six semester-hours) per session. Fall/Winter Unclassified Students will need special permission from the Registrar’s Office to enrol in more than two courses per semester (maximum of five).
If an Unclassified Student applies to a program/faculty for a specific semester (Fall/Winter), the student cannot be registered for that same semester as an Unclassified Student.
Upon admission to a specific program, courses completed as an Unclassified Student may be counted toward the student’s program, subject to Academic Regulations and the appropriate rules of the faculty/school.