Tuition and Fee Refunds
Students who withdraw from the University or from individual courses voluntarily or otherwise before October 31 (or last business day in October) in the first semester or February 28 (or last business day in February) in the second semester may be allowed a refund on part of their tuition fees, (please note that fees other than tuition fees and student union dues are not refundable) provided written notice is previously filed with the Registrar's Office. The date of withdrawal shall be the day notice is received. Refunds will be made for complete months only; any part of a calendar month attended or registered by a student constitutes a full month.
Refunds are based on discontinuation dates; refer to UPEI's Academic Calendar.
International student refund rules and procedures
International students requesting a refund are subject to the following rules and procedures:
Study permit denied
- Students who are not successful in obtaining a study permit prior to arrival in Canada, and wish to withdraw their offer of admission to UPEI, must make a formal request to do so.
- Students must complete a notification form before the start date of the academic semester of the calendar year.
- It is the student's responsibility to check the UPEI calendar dates to ensure that they submit their request for withdrawal on time.
- Students must remove themselves from any courses in which they are registered before requesting a refund.
- Students will be refunded the tuition paid to UPEI less a $500 administrative fee.
- Requests received after the start of the academic semester will be charged a $1,000 administrative fee which will be subtracted from the total tuition refund.
- Refunds will be returned to the original sender in the manner in which they were received.
- All requests for refunds must be accompanied by the student's visa rejection letter.
- UPEI reserves the right to verify the authenticity of all visa rejection letters.
- Refunds will only be processed after verification is obtained from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and all of the required banking documentation has been provided to UPEI Financial Services when necessary.
- Students should be aware that this process may take up to eight (8) weeks.
Withdrawal from UPEI
- Students who decide not to attend UPEI after being granted a study permit to UPEI must complete a notification form and will be charged a non-refundable administrative fee of $3,000, to be automatically deducted from any applicable tuition refunds.
- Refunds will be returned to the original sender in the manner in which they were received, and will only be processed after the student's acceptance start date and all of the required banking documentation has been provided to UPEI Financial Services when necessary.
- Please be aware that it may take up to eight (8) weeks to process a request for refund.