Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We acknowledge that we are in the traditional, unceded territory of the Mi'kmaq People.
Equity is a principle of fairness in treatment, access to opportunity, and advancement for all members of the university community. It requires acknowledging that treating people equally does not always produce fair outcomes, and there is a need to eliminate systemic barriers and biases that have played a role in impeding the full participation of underrepresented or disadvantaged groups.
Diversity means differences between people. This can relate to the groups protected by human rights legislation, and, also within the university community, can refer to differences in beliefs, disciplines, education, and values. Understanding diversity requires recognizing that people have multiple and intersecting identities.
Inclusion is the creation of an experience where everyone on campus can feel welcomed, respected, and valued. Inclusion requires recognizing that some groups have been historically and/or structurally disadvantaged and meaningfully engaging with those groups.
UPEI Value Statement: “We are dedicated to making UPEI an open, accessible, and welcoming community, and to the fair treatment of all persons. We are committed to continually re-examining and growing our understanding of the tole UPEI must play in promoting a better understanding of cultures and identities and the needs of community members with disabilities in a manner that supports education and respectful relationships.” – UPEI Strategic Plan (2018-2023)
The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Office at UPEI is responsible for supporting the strategic direction towards advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion within the University community. The EDI Office is responsible for monitoring the progress of the UPEI Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy, and provides leadership to the University to ensure equity, diversity, inclusion, and human rights obligations and goals are being met. The Office also ensures that training and resources are available to faculty, staff, and students at UPEI.
Learn more about the UPEI Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Steering Committee and the Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Officer.
The Way Forward
- UPEI Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy
- UPEI Canada Research Chairs Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Action Plan
- UPEI Campus Mental Health Strategy
Training, Resources, and More Information
Faculty, staff, and students can login to myUPEI Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion for internal resources and training opportunities.
Learn more about the UPEI Canada Research Chairs Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Action Plan.
UPEI is a proud endorser of the NSERC Dimensions Charter.
Other UPEI Offices Focused on Inclusion
- Fair Treatment Office - UPEI's Fair Treatment Office works with students, staff, and faculty who experience forms of harassment and discrimination at work, and to maintain the rights of those individuals to participate in activities at the University without fear of discrimination or harassment. Check out their site to learn more about the UPEI Fair Treatment Policy and learn how to submit a fair treatment complaint.
- Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Office
- Mawi’omi Indigenous Student Centre
- Student Affairs and the Webster Centre for Student Success
- Accessibility Services
- International Student Office
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Office
UPEI, Kelley Memorial Building, Room 305
550 University Ave