Following a briefing by the PEI Chief Public Health Office, UPEI issued an update on March 3, 2021, to students, faculty, and staff that in-person activities at UPEI will resume on Thursday, March, 4, 2021. Read the update
Pre-Travel Requirements for Students Arriving/Returning to PEI
Effective January 7, 2021, the Government of Canada requires that all air passengers five years of age or older test negative for COVID-19 before travelling from another country to Canada. Airlines will ask post-secondary students to provide proof of a negative test result. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website for more information.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, restrictions that limit travel to Canada and Prince Edward Island are in place. Incoming first-year, as well as returning students, who are arriving from outside the province and/or out of the country will need to follow public health guidelines in order to enter PEI. Students who are travelling from Canadian provinces outside PEI and from outside Canada are required to self-isolate for 14 days.
If you are a new incoming student travelling to PEI or a current student returning to PEI for the 2021 Winter Academic Semester, please Request a Pre-Travel Enrolment Confirmation now. This confirmation is required in order to enter Canada and PEI.
UPEI developed a plan to support all current and incoming UPEI students who travelled to PEI for the 2020 Fall Academic Semester. The plan was updated for the 2021 Winter Academic Semester and more information is available in the Student Information Guide.
If you are a student currently living on PEI and decide to travel off-Island at any time, you will be subject to PEI public health regulations, including self-isolating for 14 days upon your return, at your own expense. You must have a pre-travel plan approved by the PEI Chief Public Health Office in advance of returning, or risk being denied entry to the province.
International students are encouraged to continue to seek the most up-to-date information about visas/study permits from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The International Student Office will provide regular updates from IRCC in relation to studying at UPEI and will support students as they plan to return to Canada.
Please note it is the responsibility of students and their families to keep informed of any changes in travel and self-isolation requirements. The following guide is intended as reference only. Students are encouraged to check federal and provincial travel requirements often, as they could change without notice. Parents/guardians travelling with students must also follow all federal and provincial travel regulations.
2020–2021 Academic Year
Although COVID-19 has changed some aspects of how we teach and learn, UPEI remains committed to providing high quality education, as well as access to engaging and rewarding learning experiences online and, when possible, in person, in a safe and responsible manner. Online course delivery isn’t new to UPEI, but we are expanding our offerings to ensure students, regardless of their location, are provided with robust learning opportunities.
The 2020 Fall Academic Semester program delivery was developed to ensure you can move forward with your academic goals. UPEI courses are primarily online for the Fall Academic Semester (September–December 2020) with exceptions for in-person, on-campus instruction. These exceptions include accredited programs in health and clinical-based programming (such as Nursing, Veterinary Medicine, Doctor of Psychology, and Sustainable Design Engineering), some lab-based courses in Science, performance-based programming in Arts (such as Music), and post-degree and graduate studies. Other students who are required to be on-campus, for in-person purposes, include varsity student-athletes, and graduate and undergraduate honours students conducting research.
On September 25, 2020, it was announced that the blended delivery model will be extended for the Winter Academic Semester (January–April 2021). While UPEI courses will be primarily online, with exceptions for in-person, on-campus instruction, the University will identify opportunities to provide additional in-person experiences and activities, where possible, that align with PEI Chief Public Health Office guidance. Current exceptions for in-person, on-campus instruction include accredited programs in health and clinical-based programming (such as Nursing, Veterinary Medicine, Doctor of Psychology, and Sustainable Design Engineering), some lab-based courses in Science, performance-based programming in Arts (such as Music), and post-degree and graduate studies. Other students who are required to be on-campus, for in-person purposes, include varsity student-athletes, and graduate and undergraduate honours students conducting research.
Visit our Program Delivery by Faculty page to view a summary of how each Faculty is managing program delivery and for contact information.
Our First-Year Experience Program, campus life advisors, residence life advisors, and international advisors are here to help you make the most of your time at university—to build friendships, create memories, and love university life!
Classes for the 2021 Winter Academic Semester begin Monday, January 11*
As you prepare for the start of classes, whether you are physically in Prince Edward Island or in locations around the world, studying in-person or joining us virtually, here is some helpful information to get the 2021 Winter Academic Semester off to a great start.
- UPEI uses Moodle as its online learning system. Your professors will be posting course outlines and materials here, so be sure to log on. The Welcome to Moodle page has information and a video to help get you started on Moodle. When you first log on, if you are a student that has a requirement to be on campus, we’ll ask for your contact information to facilitate contact tracing in the event of a COVID-19 outbreak.
- If you have a question about registration, your student account, or any general questions about UPEI, email email@example.com and your question will be forwarded to the appropriate area.
- If you are a First-Year Student and are looking for academic advising and course selection, contact the First-Year Advisement team. They'll be happy to assist you.
- If you are a Returning Student looking for academic advising and help with course selection, you can speak with an advisor by visiting our UPEI Student Affairs Virtual Walk-in Academic Advising online program.
- Whether you are starting at UPEI or resuming your studies, the Learning 2020 website has been developed to help you meet your academic goals this year. Take some time to review the different tips and strategies and help set yourself up to start strong this semester.
- Students with documented disabilities can register with Accessibility Services. Please contact us at 902-566-0488 to arrange for an appointment with one of our accessibility case managers.
- If you are on-campus attending face-to-face classes and/or labs, or visiting campus to study or meet, familiarize yourself with the following:
- Student Classroom Protocol
- Student Laboratory Protocol
- UPEI’s Operational Ease-Back Plan (including guidance on mandatory mask-wearing in campus buildings, physical distancing (2m/6f), and hand hygiene)
- Robertson Library re-opening information
- Athletics and Recreation facilities and programming
- Contact information collection will take place at kiosks in the following common spaces/areas: UPEI Health and Wellness Centre; PsyD Training Clinic; Student Experience Hub at Dalton Hall; AVC Cafeteria; and Robertson Library. Both the Robertson Library and UPEI Chi-Wan Young Sports Centre (including the UPEI Fitness Centre) will also monitor occupancy by taking online bookings for spaces.
- Campus buildings will be unlocked from 8 am–5 pm, with exceptions for scheduled classes, labs, and other approved activity.
Questions? For more information, contact:
*In a message sent to the campus community on September 25, 2020, Dr. Kathy Gottschall-Pass, Interim Vice-President Academic and Research, advised that the UPEI Senate approved a change to the starting date of the 2021 Winter Academic Semester for the Faculties of Arts, Business, Graduate Studies, Education, Nursing, Science, and Sustainable Design Engineering.