UPDATE: Effective September 8, 2020, wearing a non-medical mask is mandatory in UPEI campus buildings.
In September, UPEI updated its health and safety guidance on mask-wearing in campus buildings from a strong recommendation to a mandatory protocol. Read more
2020 Fall Academic Semester / 2021 Winter Academic Semester
Although COVID-19 has changed some aspects of how we teach and learn, UPEI remains committed to providing high quality education, as well as access to engaging and rewarding learning experiences online and, when possible, in person, in a safe and responsible manner. Online course delivery isn’t new to UPEI, but we are expanding our offerings to ensure students, regardless of their location, are provided with robust learning opportunities.
The 2020 Fall Academic Semester program delivery has been developed to ensure you can move forward with your academic goals. UPEI courses are primarily online for the Fall Academic Semester (September–December 2020) with exceptions for in-person, on-campus instruction. These exceptions include accredited programs in health and clinical-based programming (such as Nursing, Veterinary Medicine, Doctor of Psychology, and Sustainable Design Engineering), some lab-based courses in Science, performance-based programming in Arts (such as Music), and post-degree and graduate studies. Other students who are required to be on-campus, for in-person purposes, include varsity student-athletes, and graduate and undergraduate honours students conducting research.
On September 25, 2020, it was announced that the blended delivery model will be extended for the Winter Academic Semester (January–April 2021). While UPEI courses will be primarily online, with exceptions for in-person, on-campus instruction, the University will identify opportunities to provide additional in-person experiences and activities, where possible, that align with PEI Chief Public Health Office guidance. Current exceptions for in-person, on-campus instruction include accredited programs in health and clinical-based programming (such as Nursing, Veterinary Medicine, Doctor of Psychology, and Sustainable Design Engineering), some lab-based courses in Science, performance-based programming in Arts (such as Music), and post-degree and graduate studies. Other students who are required to be on-campus, for in-person purposes, include varsity student-athletes, and graduate and undergraduate honours students conducting research.
Visit our Program Delivery by Faculty page to view a summary of how each Faculty is managing program delivery and for contact information.
Our First-Year Experience Program, campus life advisors, residence life advisors, and international advisors are here to help you make the most of your time at university—to build friendships, create memories, and love university life!
Classes begin Tuesday, September 8
Although some programs begin earlier, the majority of classes for the 2020 Fall Academic Semester begin on Tuesday, September 8. As you prepare for the start of classes, whether you are physically in Prince Edward Island or in locations around the world, studying in-person or joining us virtually, here is some helpful information to get the 2020 Fall Academic Semester off to a great start.
- UPEI uses Moodle as its online learning system. Your professors will be posting course outlines and materials here, so be sure to log on. The Welcome to Moodle page has information and a video to help get you started on Moodle. When you first log on, if you are a student that has a requirement to be on campus, we’ll ask for your contact information to facilitate contact tracing in the event of a COVID-19 outbreak.
- If you have a question about registration, your student account, or any general questions about UPEI, email firstname.lastname@example.org and your question will be forwarded to the appropriate area.
- If you are a First-Year Student and are looking for academic advising and course selection, contact the First-Year Advisement team. They'll be happy to assist you. (Are you a new, incoming student? Sign up for New Student Orientation and join the UPEI NSO 2020 Facebook page!)
- If you are a Returning Student looking for academic advising and help with course selection, you can speak with an advisor by visiting our UPEI Student Affairs Virtual Walk-in Academic Advising online program. This service will run on a first-come, first-serve basis from Tuesday, September 8 to Friday, September 11, and Monday, September 14 to Friday, September 18, from 9:00 am–12:00pm and 1:00–4:00pm AST. Just "take a seat" in our virtual wait room!
- Whether you are starting at UPEI or resuming your studies, the Learning 2020 website has been developed to help you meet your academic goals this year. Take some time to review the different tips and strategies and help set yourself up to start strong this semester.
- Students with documented disabilities can register with Accessibility Services. Please contact us at 902-566-0488 to arrange for an appointment with one of our accessibility case managers.
- If you are on-campus attending face-to-face classes and/or labs, or visiting campus to study or meet, familiarize yourself with the following:
- Student Classroom Protocol
- Student Laboratory Protocol
- UPEI’s Operational Ease-Back Plan (including guidance on mandatory mask-wearing in campus buildings, physical distancing (2m/6f), and hand hygiene)
- Robertson Library re-opening information
- Athletics and Recreation facilities and programming
- Contact information collection will take place at kiosks in the following common spaces/areas: UPEI Health and Wellness Centre; PsyD Training Clinic; Student Experience Hub at Dalton Hall; AVC Cafeteria; and Robertson Library. Both the Robertson Library and UPEI Chi-Wan Young Sports Centre (including the UPEI Fitness Centre) will also monitor occupancy by taking online bookings for spaces.
- Campus buildings will be unlocked from 8 am–5 pm, with exceptions for scheduled classes, labs, and other approved activity.
Pre-Travel Requirements for Students Arriving/Returning to PEI
IMPORTANT! Travelling to PEI for the 2020–2021 Academic Year?*
Read the Student Information Guide—Travelling to PEI for the 2020 Fall Academic Semester and fill out the Pre-Travel Enrolment Confirmation form to request confirmation that you are enrolled at UPEI and are required to be on campus for the Fall semester.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, restrictions that limit travel to Canada and Prince Edward Island are in place. Incoming first-year, as well as returning students, who are arriving from outside the province and/or out of the country will need to follow public health guidelines in order to enter PEI. Students who are travelling from Canadian provinces outside Atlantic Canada (NB, NL, NS, and PEI) and from outside Canada will be required to self-isolate for 14 days. Students travelling to PEI from Atlantic Canada (and who have been staying in Atlantic Canada) do not have to self-isolate.
UPEI has developed a plan and the Student Information Guide to support all current and incoming UPEI students who are planning to travel to PEI for the 2020 Fall Academic Semester. (The guide does not apply to students who are already on Prince Edward Island.)
International students are encouraged to continue to seek the most up-to-date information about visas/study permits from Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The International Student Office will provide regular updates from IRCC in relation to studying at UPEI and will support students as they plan to return to Canada.
Please note it is the responsibility of students and their families to keep informed of any changes in travel and self-isolation requirements. The following guide is intended as reference only. Students are encouraged to check federal and provincial travel requirements often, as they could change without notice. Parents/guardians travelling with students must also follow all federal and provincial travel regulations.
Questions? For more information, contact:
*Pre-travel requirements and information for travel to PEI for the 2021 Winter Academic Semester will be posted on this website as soon as they become available.