Prince Edward Island was the first province in Canada to adopt baccalaureate education as the exclusive entry to nursing practice. This decision placed us at the forefront in the initiative across Canada to locate nursing education at the university level.
Students in the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program are required to take the same courses and have the same number of clinical hours as students in the four-year BScN program.
The program starts each January, and the application deadline is July 15 of the previous year. The length of the program is two years with no breaks in the spring and summer.
Need more information about Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing?
Note: Current UPEI students should refer to Student Planning in myUPEI and the UPEI Academic Calendar governing their entry year, and speak to an academic advisor about course requirements. The course structure presented for this program is a recommended, unofficial progression for prospective students.
Note: As per Academic Regulation 1h, all undergraduate degree programs require successful completion of IKE-1040 (new for students beginning or returning after re-application in Fall 2022); one of UPEI-1010, UPEI-1020, or UPEI-1030, and a Writing Intensive Course.
January – April
- NURS 1030 - Fundamentals of Nursing Practice
- NURS 2450 - Health Assessment
- NURS 2320 - Introductory Pharmacology
- NURS 2120 - Pathophysiology for Nursing Students
Mid-April – August
- NURS 2130 - Nursing of Young Families
- NURS 2230 - Adult Nursing: Transitions in Health
Students in the accelerated BScN Program merge with the year three BScN student cohort in N3230 and remain with this group until NURS 4020X.
September - December
- NURS 3230 - Partnerships with Clients and Families Living with Chronic Illness
- NURS 3030 - Issues in Nursing and Health Care
- NURS 3040 - Nursing Research Methods
Second Year Required:
January – April
- NURS 3050 - Health Teaching
- NURS 3060 - Nursing of the Childbearing Family
- NURS 3130 - Developing Partnerships with Clients in the Community
- NURS 4030 - Leadership for Health Professionals in a Primary Health Care Context
May - June
- NURS 3100 - Integrated Clinical Experience I
July - August
- NURS 4020 - Integrated Clinical Experience II
* Upon completion of NURS 4020, students in the accelerated program merge with year four students in NURS 4010 and remain with this group until completion of their program in December.
September - December
- NURS 4010 - Nursing and Population Health
- NURS 4040 - Conceptual Models and Nursing Theories
To be eligible for the Accelerated BScN Program, applicants must have:
- successfully completed Grade 12 Academic or equivalent courses in English, Math, Chemistry, and Biology;
- successfully completed 60 semester hours of university-level credit;
- of the 60 semester hours of credit noted above, 30 semester hours of credit must come from the list of courses below (at the credit weights noted), with a minimum average of 75% in these 10 courses (30 semester hours) with no individual course grade below 60%:
- Human Anatomy (3 semester hours) – lab required
- Human Physiology (3 semester hours) – lab required
- Microbiology (3 semester hours) – lab required
- Introductory Psychology (6 semester hours)
- Developmental Psychology (3 semester hours)
- Statistics (3 semester hours)
- Introductory Nutrition (3 semester hours)
- Two (2) English courses (6 semester hours)
(The above noted courses must be successfully completed at an undergraduate degree level at a recognized post-secondary institution. Courses must have been completed within the past 10 years and fulfill the criteria outlined for regular transfer credit equivalency review).
CASPer Test Requirement (worth 30% of overall admission score)
All applicants applying to the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at UPEI are required to complete Altus Suite for the 2023–2024 admissions cycle.
Altus Suite is a standardized, multi-part online assessment that measures different competencies and attributes that we believe are important for successful students and graduates of our program. Altus Suite will complement the other tools that we use for applicant review and evaluation. In implementing Altus Suite, we are trying to further enhance fairness and objectivity in our selection process.
Altus Suite consists of:
- Casper: 100–120 minute online, open-response situational judgment test
How to complete Altus Suite
In order to take Altus Suite, you will be responsible for securing access to a laptop or desktop computer with webcam and audio capabilities and a reliable internet connection with an internet speed of at least 1.5 Mbps and upload speed of at least 2 Mbps. You will require the following for both account creation and completing Altus Suite:
- Government-issued photo ID (English/French) for account validation
- Valid email address (the same one you will use to submit your application)
- Desktop or laptop computer
- Working webcam
- Working microphone
- Reliable high-speed internet connection
1. Please go to www.TakeAltus.com to sign up for Altus Suite for CSP-10202 Undergraduate Health Sciences, under your specific country, and register using a piece of government-issued photo ID.
2. Select a Casper test date. You will be provided with a limited number of testing dates and times, which have been pre-arranged/approved by your program(s) in accordance with their admissions timelines. Please note that these are the only testing dates available for your Casper test based on your program selection(s). There will be no additional tests scheduled. Please use an email address that you check regularly and that you have used for your application; there may be updates to the test schedule.
Important: To account for identity verification and payment processing timelines, ensure that you register for your test at least 3 days before your preferred test date and time. Last-minute bookings are not recommended.
3. Ensure you have selected a University of Prince Edward Island Bachelor of Science, Nursing program for distribution before the posted distribution deadline. Likely, there will be no additional tests scheduled, but the most up-to-date information can be found by browsing the Test Dates and Times on TakeAltus.com.
4. It is recommended that you complete Snapshot and/or Duet within 14 days of taking Casper at TakeAltus.com. The final deadline however, is the same as the distribution deadline for your program(s) as shown on the Dates and Fees page.
Testing Accommodations: If you require testing accommodations for Altus Suite, you will need to submit the Accommodations Request Form signed by you and your qualified professional 3 weeks in advance of your desired test date. More information regarding accommodations can be found on the Acuity Insights website.
Note: Required courses in Pathophysiology and Pharmacology can be taken during the Accelerated Program.
Note: Applicants whose first language is not English must also satisfy the UPEI English Language Proficiency requirements.
Please refer to the UPEI Academic Calendar for complete admissions information.
$6,570 per year, based on 15 credit hours ($657 per 3 credit course).
International students pay $7,704 per year in addition to full-time student tuition.
For a complete breakdown of part-time or full-time study as a student in the Faculty of Arts, visit our Tuition and Fees page.
Scholarships and Awards
UPEI supports you and your educational goals. We administer millions of dollars in scholarships and awards to our undergraduate and graduate students every year. Depending on your faculty or program, and year of study, you may be eligible for available awards.
Search the complete list of scholarships for information and application forms.
Celebrating Student Achievement
Including Guaranteed Entrance Scholarships and Academic Excellence Awards, these awards recognize the academic achievements of all students who meet the eligibility criteria while studying towards their first undergraduate degree.
Visit the Scholarships site for complete information.
UPEI has about 250 faculty—exceptional scholars, teachers, and mentors, with more being hired each year as we open new, progressive, and unique programs. But the story isn’t just in the numbers. It’s in the quality of our people. Award-winning faculty from around the globe have made UPEI home. Here, you’ll learn directly from these world-class professors and researchers in small classes where you’ll have easy access to them.