The Bachelor of Business in Tourism and Hospitality (BBTH) is a two-year post-diploma degree available only to graduates of diploma programs at the Atlantic Tourism and Hospitality Institute (ATHI) or of similar programs at similar post-secondary institutions. This post-diploma degree provides the opportunity for students to continue their education through a concentration in Business Administration.
Students must meet the UPEI admission requirements for this degree by completing the ATHI diploma, including economics, or equivalent course work at a university or college, with a minimum overall average of 70%. In the BBTH program, students must obtain grades of at least 60% in at least 12 of the 16 required business courses in order to qualify for the degree. Students are subject to all of the Academic Regulations of the University.
Required courses recommended to be taken in a student’s first year at UPEI:
- Accounting 1010 - Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Accounting 2210 - Managerial Accounting
- Business 1410 - Marketing
- Business 1710 - Organizational Behaviour
- Business 2120 - Business Presentations and Communications
- Business 2510 - Introduction to Management Science
- Business 2880 - Research and Evidence-Based Management
- Business 3010- Business Law – Part I
- UPEI 1010 - Writing Studies (see note 4)
Required courses recommended to be taken in a student’s second year at UPEI:
- Business 2310 - Corporate Finance
- Business 2720 - Human Resource Management
- Business 3330 - Integrated Cases in Corporate Finance OR Business 3340 (formerly 421) - Personal Finance
- Business 3430 - Integrated Cases in Marketing
- Business 3510 - Operations Management
- Business 3710 - Entrepreneurship and New Ventures
- Business 3910 - Strategic Management
- Business 4850 - Developing Management Skills
- English 3810 - Professional Writing
In addition to the 18 required courses, students must take 2 elective courses. At least one elective must be a non-business course. The other elective (“a free elective”) may be either a business or a non-business course. For the non-business elective, Island Studies 2110 (Island Tourism: The Search for Paradise) is highly recommended.
- Accounting courses are considered to be Business electives.
- Due to student enrolments and faculty availability, some courses may not necessarily be offered each year. Students should consult the current timetable before registration.
- Business 3730 (Tourism Management) or Business 4540 (Tourism and Hospitality management) is recommended for the free elective.
- The completion of UPEI 1010 is a required course for the BBTH, but the course also meets the general UPEI requirement of taking UPEI 1010, 1020 or 1030.
- Students are eligible to apply to the Cooperative Education program upon entrance to the University.
- The following courses are not eligible as electives for the BBTH program: Math 1110/1120, and Economics 1010/1020.
The Bachelor of Business in Tourism and Hospitality (BBTH) is a two-year post-diploma degree available only to graduates of diploma programs at the Atlantic Tourism and Hospitality Institute (ATHI) or of similar programs at similar post-secondary institutions.
Students must meet the UPEI admission requirements for this degree by completing the ATHI diploma, including economics, or equivalent course work at a university or college, with a minimum overall average of 70%.
UPEI's undergraduate tuition is the second-lowest in the Atlantic region, and we offer millions of dollars in scholarships and awards.
$6,390 per year, based on 30 credit hours ($639 per 3 credit course).
International students pay $7,470 per year in addition to full-time student tuition.
For a complete breakdown of part-time or full-time study as a student in the Faculty of Business, visit our Tuition and Fees page.
Scholarships and Awards
UPEI supports you and your educational goals. We administer millions of dollars in scholarships and awards to our undergraduate and graduate students every year. Depending on your faculty or program, and year of study, you may be eligible for available awards.
Search the complete list of scholarships for information and application forms.
Celebrating Student Achievement
Including Guaranteed Entrance Scholarships and Academic Excellence Awards, these awards recognize the academic achievements of all students who meet the eligibility criteria while studying towards their first undergraduate degree.
Visit the Scholarships site for complete information.
UPEI has about 250 faculty members—exceptional scholars, teachers, and mentors, with more being hired each year as we open new, progressive, and unique programs. But the story isn’t just in the numbers. It’s in the quality of our people. Award-winning faculty from around the globe have made UPEI home. Here, you’ll learn directly from these world-class professors and researchers in small classes where you’ll have easy access to them.