MTS Level 6 - Registered Veterinary Technician - Large Animal Medicine/Float - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary Hospital
$56,709 - $62,366, per annum, as per CUPE 1870
Do you want to join a dynamic team practicing and teaching the highest standards of Veterinary Medicine? Do you want to advance your technical skills and work in an environment supporting primary care clinicians and veterinary specialist experts across a small and large animal caseload? Do you want to be part of training and shaping the next generation of veterinarians? If so, we’d love to have you join us! The Veterinary Teaching Hospital requires a Registered Veterinary Technician to join in a full-time permanent position working primarily within the large animal surgery, medicine, and anesthesia services (inpatient and outpatient) with the flexibility and initiative to float to other areas of the teaching hospital to perform other veterinary technician duties in support of small animal patient care and hospital operations.
This position will have primary responsibilities within the large animal medicine service (inpatient and outpatient) and secondary responsibilities providing patient nursing care to all patients within the large animal hospital, including circulating in the LA operating room (OR) and to large animal ambulatory services as needed (see list of duties below):
Large Animal Technician Hospital duties:
- Undertake technical duties and responsibilities as part of the large animal medicine, surgery, and anesthesia teams
- Undertake technical duties and responsibilities as part of the large animal technician ambulatory team
- Monitoring, assisting with and completing treatments and procedures for patients
- Perform necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required (including triage of emergency presentations, animal handling, restraint, and basic husbandry) and assisting with diagnostic procedures
- Monitoring and reporting to the clinician any findings or abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or status of their care and well-being.
- Support clinicians and VTH interns/residents with client communication (including discussing estimates, reviewing consent forms, and client education/care)
- Support client services staff in ensuring an excellent client experience including answering client inquiries, taking payments, and client communication
- Stocking and maintaining supplies, including reconciliation of Cubex inventory cabinets, in various hospital locations
- Assist in the maintenance of complete and accurate patient medical records and billing and working with clinicians and client services staff to ensure that patient bills are completed and paid prior to patient discharge
- Instruct and supervise veterinary and technical students on medical procedures such as venipuncture, injections, iv catheter placement, etc.
- Maintaining a high standard of cleanliness and biosecurity standards and other related technician duties as assigned
Large Animal Service (Medicine, Surgery, and Anesthesia) duties:
- Undertake technical duties and responsibilities as part of the large animal medicine team, including admitting patients for diagnostics and procedures, submitting request forms, prescriptions, and samples
- Undertake technical duties and responsibilities as part of the large animal surgery team, including admitting patients for surgery, pre- and post-operative care of all surgery patients
- Preparing, reviewing, and updating daily hospital patient flow sheets, medical records, and billing to ensure accuracy
- Assist as required in the operating room (OR) including preparing surgical suites pre-operatively, ensuring the availability of equipment and instruments for procedures, clipping/prepping/positioning patients, circulating in operating rooms to facilitate efficient intra-operative assistance and completing operating room records
- Ensure safe administration of pre-anesthetic and anesthetic agents to healthy and compromised patients
- Use specialized anesthesia and monitoring equipment to provide comprehensive perianesthetic care to patients
- Maintain detailed patient anesthesia records and complete accurate anesthetic billing
- Must be willing to participate as assigned in an on-call schedule as required for hospital operations and may include some evening/weekend/holiday work
- Participate in the training of veterinary students, technician students and post-graduate program veterinarians with confidence and support
- Maintain collegial and professional interactions and communication with colleagues, students, and clients at all times
- Maintain safe, respectful, professional, and ethical conduct, handling and interactions with patients and during patient care as befitting a veterinary teaching hospital environment and in accordance with veterinary regulatory bodies
- Must be a graduate of an Animal Health Technician program from a recognized facility
- Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) designation is required
- Demonstrated work experience made up of a combination of small animal and large animal clinical caseload, with specialty referral hospital experience preferred
- Minimum of one (1) year of clinical experience working with patients in a surgical or anesthesia setting would be an asset (preferably in a specialty referral hospital)
- Excellent technical proficiency with experience and confidence with nursing and handling large and small animal patients, placing catheters, and administering IV fluids, performing sample collection, assisting with diagnostic procedures including administering sedation and monitoring sedated patients, performing patient assessments, and administering required treatments
- Must possess strong work ethic and accountability with demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills with colleagues and clients, with experience working in a teaching environment an asset
- Demonstrated experience in inputting, maintaining, and reviewing patient billing
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated ability in Windows and iOS Operating Systems
- Previous experience with electronic medical records is required, with preference given to applicants with knowledge of RxWorks and Smart Flow
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, email@example.com.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
For current UPEI employees who wish to apply for this position, click here, requires UPEI login.
For all others who wish to apply for this position, click here.