PA Level 10 - Technical Lead - Network Adminstrator - Information Technology Systems and Services
$75,912 to $83,507 per annum, as per CUPE 1870
UPEI requires an experienced technical lead to assist management with the day-to-day supervision and technical leadership of our IT operations. The technical lead is also relied upon to lead the technical aspects of planning and implementing new enterprise level IT solutions in order to maximize the benefit of our IT investments.
This position provides technical oversight to the operations team and manager such as advising on and recommending new technologies, implementation best practices, pointing out security/procedural issues, advising management on technical matters and assisting fellow team members. This role supports the proper operation and upkeep of UPEI’s enterprise IT network and systems operating on the campus network, which provide a wide variety of mission critical IT services.
In tandem with ITSS management, the technical lead will:
- Assist management with delegation and oversight of operational and project related tasks
- Play a lead role in technical requirements gathering, design and implementation of new enterprise IT systems at UPEI
- Take the initiative to improve technical operations, recommend new technology solutions, and assist/coach team members
- Act as lead hand to implement new IT systems, with minimal direction from management (i.e. autonomously taking the initiative to problem solve, troubleshoot issues and supervise/delegate tasks to team members)
- Assist management with staff scheduling to ensure operational integrity of UPEI’s IT systems
- Translate high level objectives into project level options for review with ITSS management. This requires consultation with vendors, other educational institutions, UPEI stakeholders etc. The end result being the technical details required to proceed to the RFP phase of an enterprise level IT project
- Research and identify possible solutions to meet identified requirements from various campus stakeholders
- Evaluate, test, and recommend best solution(s)
- Where necessary, assist in the integration of new systems with existing ones
- Implement chosen solutions, developing and documenting them to the point where they are incorporated into daily administration and maintenance activities
- Ensure newly developed systems are being used correctly by other staff
- Install and/or assist with new applications/databases and network devices
- Monitor system/database and network performance, and adjust configuration as necessary to ensure performance, functionality, licensing, and security needs are maintained
- Diagnose and correct problems identified by monitoring systems, clients, or co-workers
- Play an active role on the ITSS team by exchanging information, ideas, and suggestions with others in the department
- Provide technical support for the broader University Community
- Provide consulting services and recommendations on a range of services including, but not limited to, needs assessments, system upgrades, software licensing and provisioning, departmental software systems
- Consult with regional and national representatives of IT member organizations
- Assist with security operations
- Assist management with ongoing process improvements
- Post-secondary degree in the field of computer science, science, management information systems, or business administration and 7 years related work experience or a suitable combination of both
- At least seven years’ experience supporting enterprise IT solutions/networks in a large-scale environment
- This person must have some experience at negotiation and compromise when working with groups, this results in an increased focus on an analyst role, so that enhancements or modifications to IT systems are “designed” rather than programmed
- Experience integrating enterprise level IT applications
- Experience in developing and conducting technical training sessions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required
- Strong documentation skills
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- A professional IT certification (e.g. MCSE/CCNE) and/or certification in project management (CAPM/PMP) would be considered an asset
- A strong commitment to excellent customer service is a fundamental requirement for this position
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
For current UPEI employees who wish to apply for this position, click here, requires UPEI login.
For all others who wish to apply for this position, click here.