Project Manager - Department of Facilities Management *Reposted*
$81,833 to $90,733 per annum
As soon as possible for a two-year term (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
As part of the department management team, this position is responsible for project management of assigned capital projects and reporting to the Manager of Capital Projects and Planning. This includes managing dedicated resources, consultants, as well as directing and coordinating activities of projects to ensure that goals and objectives of the projects are accomplished within the prescribed time frames and funding parameters. This position represents the department and University when meeting with outside agencies, contractors, and consultants regarding matters affecting the planning, design, and construction of a project.
- Carry out regular site inspections, including with the consultant, to monitor the construction progress and quality, ensuring compliance with contract requirements as contained in the plans and specifications. Meets with occupants of the buildings during renovation projects and is present at project design & construction meetings
- Oversees project scope and budgets when working with consultants and different University user groups during design to achieve project goals and objectives
- Responsible for handling/overseeing multiple projects simultaneously; medical building, Canada Games infrastructure, renovations on campus, amount depending on project scope of work. Projects range from large capital projects to minor alterations/renovations on campus
- Identifies and schedules project deliverables, milestones and required tasks.
- Assists in developing equipment lists for projects including determining system requirements
- Coordinates with Procurement Services to obtain resources required for projects and prepares request for proposals and scopes of work
- Assists in the consultant/contractor/vendor selection process
- Ensures safety standards and procedures are maintained according to UPEI, Municipal and Provincial codes and standards throughout the project, including Workers Compensation and OH&S Act
- Identifies potential problems and alternatives and take corrective action as necessary
- Represents UPEI as required at meetings related to project, including construction project meetings
- Review contractors work, including construction schedule, shop drawing submissions and approvals, material, and equipment delivery dates, etc. Advise the Manager of Capital Projects and Planning of any anticipated or known scheduling, methodology or cost changes
- Assess changes initiated by the Architect, Construction Manager/General Contractor, or the University and advise how these changes will impact on construction and budget. Review quotations submitted by trade contractors in response to contemplated change orders. Review change orders with recommendations for approval
- Provide project guidance and ensure conformance with campus planning and design guidelines consistent with the campus master plan
- Ensure that the contract documents in the project office are kept current by incorporating all approved changes
- Keeps Management informed of project status and related issues
- Assists in ensuring commissioning plan is completed
- Coordinate with facility occupants for move-in to new/renovated facilities
- Manages confidential materials and responsible to hold in confidence all matters pertaining to the project and the workplace
- Helps to maintain and to promote good working relationships with the consultants, contractors, as well as Town, Municipal and Provincial Officials, and UPEI staff
- Depending on project size, could work independently or with a team from Facilities Management
- Any other duties assigned by the Manager of Capital Projects and Planning
- Bachelor of Engineering or a Bachelor of Architecture or a University degree in combination with a certificate or diploma in Architectural or Building Construction Technology
- Demonstrated equivalences in education and related experience may be considered
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and professionally with consultants, contractors, users, and regulatory officials; communication methods include both verbal and written aspects
- Minimum of 5 years of construction project management experience in large and small construction/renovation projects, varying in complexity
- Proven management experience with sound professional judgement, initiative, leadership, effective motivation, and delegation
- Working knowledge of construction methods, means and materials
- Working knowledge of mechanical or electrical systems and equipment is considered an asset
- Related construction site experience is considered an asset
- Sound knowledge and working experience with computers, and related software with demonstrated ability to use word processing and spread sheet software
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
For current UPEI employees who wish to apply for this position, click here, requires UPEI login.
For all others who wish to apply for this position, click here.