Director of Ancillary Services - Ancillary Services
$106,066 to $117,602 per annum
A leader in academic excellence and research innovation, UPEI is committed to providing its students with an outstanding learning experience and supportive environment—helping them to reach their full potential.
Consistently ranking among the top ten primarily undergraduate universities in Canada, UPEI offers a wide range of relevant programs and degrees to a diverse population of over 5,500 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students. Home to Canada Research Chairs, a UNESCO Chair, endowed and sponsored research chairs, and 3M National Teaching Fellows, UPEI offers its students access to exceptional faculty, researchers, and staff. Students come from local, regional, national, and international locations to study at UPEI, the only degree-granting institution in Prince Edward Island.
UPEI is seeking an innovative Director of Ancillary Services to provide leadership to Residence Services, Accommodations and Events, Food Services, and UPEI Bookstore units. Ancillary Services is a progressive division of passionate people who value and strive to create an excellent UPEI experience and deliver exceptional services to students, faculty, staff, visitors, and guests at the University of Prince Edward Island.
Reporting to the Vice-President Administration and Finance, the Director of Ancillary Services is a key contributor to and directly responsible for the Ancillary Services team and works closely with senior members of the University’s administration.
The Director of Ancillary Services will be responsible for setting the vision, strategy, and long-term management approach to deliver overall successful performance and profitability for the Ancillary Service units. The successful candidate will provide leadership and direction on development and implementation of progressive business plans that align to the university’s strategic business plan, ensuring that the university’s academic and research mission is supported, and its financial requirements are met.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Hospitality Management preferred, or equivalent post-secondary education and work experience
- Seven to ten years of related work experience with increasing levels of leadership, responsibility and accountability managing diverse business operations, preferably in the hospitality sectors (preferably with a focus on food service, accommodation and small to large event planning)
- Substantial experience in strategic planning, budget management, as well as project and change management, sales and marketing, and people leadership
- Substantial experience in planning for capital renewal, concept design, renovation cycles and major/minor maintenance programs for student housing, dining, and other ancillary facilities
- Experience with development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Previous work experience in a post-secondary education setting strongly preferred
- Proven focus on excellent customer service
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills and ability to function with high degree of tact and diplomacy with a diverse and wide variety of stakeholders
- Collaborative and engaging leadership skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with faculty, staff and students, parents, contractors, other post-secondary institutions, external agencies, conference clients and the general public
- Effective organizational/project management, problem-solving, planning, and analytical skills
- Experience in leading as the functional expert in introducing or migrating to new technologies
- Proficiency with business process, analysis, and reporting software such as conference and event management, housing, retail point of sale, enterprise database, ID card, bookstore management and other business/productivity software
- High level of numeracy and proficiency in Office 365
Additional information may be found in the attached Job Description.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
The University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) acknowledges that we are in Epekwitk, a traditional district in Mi’kma’ki, the unceded and ancestral and unceded lands of the Mi’kmaq. Acknowledging the land that UPEI is located on, means that we are working towards decolonizing and indigenizing our campus.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Closing date: February 17, 2023 (6:00pm AST)