Student Research Assistant - Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
$16.10 per hour, plus 4% vacation pay
ASAP to February 28, 2023
One research assistant position is available for bilingual (Spanish/English) undergraduate student with an interest in immigration, cognition, storytelling, and metaphors. The students will work under the supervision of Dr. Raquel Hoersting to transcribe about 12 hours of individual interviews in either
Spanish or English and review transcripts for accuracy. The student will be trained and assist with data coding of Spanish-language protocols. The student will gain experience in interdisciplinary and intercultural research, language transcriptions, and qualitative data analysis.
- The students will transcribe Spanish or English-language individual interviews
- The students will prepare scripts for data analysis and coding
- The students will be trained and assist with data analysis
- The students will collaborate with other researchers to complete a literature review in the area of immigration, cognition, storytelling, and metaphor
- Good academic record and a strong work ethic
- Advanced undergraduate (3rd or 4th year standing) enrolled in the Faculty of Arts are preferred; other faculties will be considered.
- Proficiency in Spanish: Spanish listening and writing skills are required
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work independently and in a team is required
- Experience in the area of qualitative research methods is an asset
- Knowledge of Portuguese is an asset
- Completion of TCPS-3 training required upon hire
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, email@example.com.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Closing date: January 23, 2023 (6:00 PM AST)