Graduate Programs Officer - Faculty of Graduate Studies
$67,930 to $75,314 per annum
As soon as possible to December 31, 2023 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
Reporting to the Associate Vice-President, Research, and Dean of Graduate Studies, the Graduate Programs Officer (one-year contractual term position) performs high-level professional work to facilitate and improve the admission of graduate students and administration of graduate programs.
The Graduate Programs Officer (GPO) will enhance the efficiency and consistency of administrative procedures in the Faculty of Graduate Studies, while improving the experience for junior scholars at UPEI by developing and implementing more efficient processes for graduate admissions, in collaboration with the Registrar’s Office, and by reviewing support services for graduate students and post-doctoral fellows. Specifically, the GPO will:
- Review and assess complete and eligible applications for graduate admission, after they are received and reviewed by the Registrar’s Office, to prepare a detailed analysis showing relevant credentials
- Analyze relevant academic standing among institutions in countries abroad with different academic standards
- Communicate with relevant academic units to improve their selection among applications received according to their own criteria of available funding and programs caps
- Develop new processes and improve existing practices for allocating graduate student fellowships including assessments of academic credentials and enrolment targets established by academic units
- Bring oversight and consistency to the application of regulations and procedures applicable to all graduate students at the University
- Develop and coordinate new supports and services for graduate students including professional and personal development
- Organize and plan graduate student conferences and workshops
- Manage the administration of progress reports submitted periodically by graduate students to monitor academic progression through their program of study
- Provide support and advisory guidance for graduate program units across campus
- Provide support for post-doctoral researchers
- Perform other related duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree with a research component is required, although a post-graduate degree is preferred
- Minimum of two years’ experience in the post-secondary sector or related work experience
- Knowledge of the Canadian post-secondary landscape of graduate programs with as strong understanding of course and thesis based graduate programs
- Familiarity with digital work environments
- Experience reviewing transcripts would be a definite asset
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience interacting with various levels of a large organization is an asset
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation in any part of the process, please direct your inquiries, in confidence, to our HR Officer, email@example.com.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.