ACENET Research Consultant - Vice-President Academic and Research *Reposted*
$67,930 to $75,314 per annum (Grant Funded)
As soon as possible for a one-year term (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
The University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) and ACENET are seeking a Research Consultant at the UPEI campus in Charlottetown, to assist academic and industry clients in using and navigating the advanced computing resources (HPC, GPU, Cloud) available through ACENET and the Digital Research Alliance of Canada (Alliance). Please note, this is not a remote position.
Established in 2003, ACENET is a consortium of universities and community colleges in Atlantic Canada providing researchers in academia and industry with Digital Research Infrastructure (DRI) resources, tools, software, training, and support. For more information on ACENET, please visit
ACENET’s central mission is to help researchers get their research done. We do this by providing them with computing resources, and by making those as easy to use as we can. This position will appeal to a motivated self-starter and relationship-builder comfortable in both academic and industry settings, with responsibilities extending throughout Atlantic Canada, and nationally.
- Consult with clients, both new and experienced, to provide support and expertise in Advanced Computing and High-Performance Computing. Topics of consultation could include parallel programming, code optimization, cloud computing, GPU programming, use of job queuing systems, research related website development and data management
- Assist researchers, both new and experienced, in all aspects of using ACENET and Alliance computing resources, from small problems to big
- Develop and deliver training, workshops, seminars, and information sessions around Advanced Computing technologies, approaches, and methodologies
- Maintain relationships with research groups to ensure ACENET is meeting their current needs and is preparing for their future needs
- Ensure client support issues are addressed in a timely manner
- Assist Director Business Development in community engagement, identifying prospective industry and academic clients, exploring, and validating their computing needs, and determining fit and potential solutions
- Evaluate and recommend new technologies, services, and software tools.
- Work with a dispersed technical team to continuously improve ACENET’s service delivery
- Participate in relevant national committees, working groups, and research support activities
- Undertake other duties as required
- A graduate degree in a STEM discipline and computational research experience with significant programming skills. Consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A proven ability to quickly learn new technologies
- Effective organization skills and ability to balance multiple priorities and time pressures
- Insightful, able to dig to uncover client needs, and are a problem-solver who comes up with creative solutions
- Demonstrated technical proficiency applying digital solutions
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, the ability to translate scientific and technical terms into plain language
- The ability to work both independently and as part of a team with minimal supervision
- Experience in an academic research environment
We try to ensure our team members have complementary skill sets that address most of the disciplinary areas of our clients. As such, skills or experience in any of the following will be considered an asset:
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, TensorFlow
- GPU computing: CUDA, OpenACC, or OpenCL
- Parallel computing and use of HPC environments
- Data analytics and scientific visualization
- Experience preparing and delivering tutorials, workshops, lectures, or seminars
- Experience in multiple programming languages (such as R, Python, C/C++, Fortran)
- Experience using IaaS cloud offerings such as AWS or GCP
- Ability to develop, program, and query databases
- Background in computational fluid dynamics, bioinformatics, or geomatics
- Fluency in French
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.