Buddy Program Student Coordinator - International Student Office - Student Experience Hub
$13.70 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
ASAP – April 30, 2023
The International Buddy Program matches upper year domestic and international students with new incoming international students. New international students are assigned a continuing student buddy (or buddies) to meet with on a regular basis for the first few months of the term. The program is designed to assist new students with their adjustment to UPEI, Charlottetown, and Canada.
The support provided by the program is also intended to assist students in making personal connections and building community. The program aims to contribute to a positive and welcoming campus culture. The program runs in both the fall and winter terms, and to a lesser degree throughout the summer months.
The Buddy Program is an initiative run by the International Student Office (ISO); the buddy program coordinator reports to the Senior International Student Adviser in the International Student Office.
- The Buddy Program Coordinator will be involved in the recruitment and training of volunteers to be matched with ‘buddies’ (incoming international students).
- Recruiting and training strong volunteers as well as motivating and facilitating consistent volunteer involvement with their buddies
- Liaison with other student groups, such as Campus Life, Residence Life, and the English Language Centre
- Coordinate activities to enhance student life and intercultural enrichment
- Returning UPEI Student
- Proven leadership skills
- Well-organized, mature self-starter
- Well-demonstrated communication skills including oral, written, and electronic. Strong interpersonal skills
- Awareness of and sensitivity to issues faced by students new to Canada. Experience in organizing programming and in managing social media accounts
- Familiarity with managing a budget would be an asset
- Good knowledge of UPEI, the ISO and the broader Prince Edward Island community
- Experience working with international students or the international experience
- Abilities in a language other than English would be an asset
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.