Student Markers and Teaching Assistants (Up to 25 Positions) - Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering
$13.70 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
September 2022 to December 2022
The Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering is seeking applications for Undergraduate Student Assistants for the Fall 2022 semester:
Options are available in various courses and the Success Centre to assist with course grading, provide in-person and/or virtual support to the design clinics, course labs, various fabrication, and assembly shops, and in the Success Centre.
Student Assistants will support individual instructors as:
- Assist the instructor with grading of assignments, tests and other materials as assigned
- Maintain records of grades for students
Lab Teaching Assistants:
- Assist the instructor with the supervision of students in undergraduate laboratories
- Provide pre-lab instruction and guidance to students for completion of undergraduate labs
- Work with the instructor and lab technician to ensure that all students are aware of safe laboratory procedures and comply with the same
- Assist instructor with student evaluation as required
Design Course Assistants:
- Assist the instructor in supporting students in the various activities associated with the Design clinics
- Assist the instructor with grading of assignments and other materials as assigned
- Provide assistance and guidance to students regarding the design process, CAD, and fabrication in the shop
Student Assistants in the Success Centre will work in the Engineering Success Centre to support students in various ways:
- Staff the drop-in-center in person and virtually
- Assist the coordinator in planning professional development activities and identifying key areas of need
- Promote campus-wide student development opportunities
- Assist students to develop technical writing skills, including reviewing student work and providing feedback
Within the Success Centre, assistants can be designated to support students in additional ways:
Success Centre Tutoring Support:
- Work one-on-one or in small groups with students to help them study and learn their course material, primarily focusing on first- and second-year courses
- Success Centre CAD Support
- Provide assistance and instruction to students in using CAD software
- Make CAD Videos and Tutorials
- Support Solidworks Certification evening sessions
Success Centre Shop Support:
- Assist the Fabrication and Assembly Technician in supporting student Design Clinic projects
- Provide assistance and guidance to students regarding fabrication and assembly
- Operate wood shop and machine shop equipment for which they are properly trained
- Complete all safety and equipment training as provided and required by the Faculty
- Follow and enforce all H&S guidelines and SOPs
- Work with the Fabrication and Assembly technician to ensure that all students are aware of safe shop procedures and comply with the same
- Report all incidents related to safety
- Maintain shop cleanliness
- Track and maintain tools
- Undergraduate students in the Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering degree program
- Applicants will have successfully completed the course for which the position applies, or have relevant alternative experience
- Excellent academic performance will be an asset
- Previous experience as a Student Marker, Lab Assistant, or Design Course Assistant will be an asset
Student Assistants for the Success Centre:
- Applicants will have successfully completed ENGN 1210 and 1220
- Excellent academic performance will be an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment will be an asset
- Demonstrated ability to teach, coach, or tutor will be an asset
- Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills will be an asset
- First Aid training will be considered an asset
- For shop assistants, experience with tools and machining and/or in a shop environment will be considered an asset
- For CAD assistants, demonstrated experience with Solidworks is required
Ensure that you provide a summary of all relevant previous experience as a course assistant or with the Success Centre.
Indicate your preference(s) regarding the type of position to which you are applying (include all you are interested in). For applicants who wish to assist with courses, indicate your top three courses of interest, in order of preference. For applicants who wish to assist with the Success Centre, identify ability in: CAD, design, technical writing, calculus courses, and technical engineering.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.