Contracts and Insurance Officer - Contracts and Insurance Office - Comptrollers Office
$81,833 to $90,733 per annum
Reporting to the Comptroller, the Contracts & Insurance Officer will support the operational contract and insurance needs of the University. This position is responsible for supporting the University community in regard to contract management and insurance advice.
- Provide University staff and faculty with guidance and advice regarding contracts, including advising on contract process
- Review University contracts and offer advice on the terms and conditions of the University entering into the contract
- Review contracts for compliance with the University’s policies and procedures and ensure that all appropriate contract processes/approvals have been followed prior to contract execution
- Coordinate having contracts executed by the appropriate University signing officers
- Support efficient review, processing and tracking of contracts
- Create educational materials, tools, and resources for creating awareness of contract administration requirements
- Provide advice to University community on insurance coverage for various activities
- Provide oversight of the University’s commercial insurance portfolio and claims management
- Co-ordinate the annual reporting, disclosures, and asset review as required by insurance providers
- Co-ordinate annual inspections and site visits as required by our insurance providers
- Handle general, professional, or other liability claims or potential claims against the University, including receiving incident reports in relation to property and liability, notifying appropriate insurers, gathering all pertinent claim information, assisting in investigation, and liaising with external legal counsel and insurance adjusters
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a minimum of 3 to 5 years work experience or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience
- Experience with commercial insurance and/or contract review
- A Bachelor of Law degree would be considered an asset
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently
- Demonstrates knowledge of the theories, principles and practices of contract law, indemnity, insurance, liability, waivers, and contract management
- Must demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, written)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience interacting with various levels of a large organization is an asset
- Computer knowledge and competencies including but not limited to Microsoft suite, Google suite and Sharepoint
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.