Student Recruiter and Advisor - Office of Recruitment and First Year Advisement - Student Experience Hub
$49,865 to $55,290 per annum
As soon as possible for a one-year term (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
UPEI’s Office of Recruitment and First Year Advisement Office is seeking a highly motivated, hardworking, and innovative individual to join our recruitment team in areas of digital recruitment and management of social media communications. Reporting to the Director of Recruitment and the Manager of Domestic Recruitment, the incumbent will work with an interdisciplinary team to deliver the support and services required for the recruitment and retention of prospective UPEI students. The incumbent will also play a critical role in the enhancement of recruitment activities through social media and virtual activities.
The Office of Recruitment and First Year Advisement plays a critical role in the University’s strategic plan. It serves a central role in connecting prospective students and their parents to UPEI and promoting UPEI’s excellence and opportunities to a wide range of audiences both within and outside Canada. As the first contact for prospective students, the office endeavors to provide fast, professional, personalized, caring, and accurate responses to students’/counselors’ inquiries and requests. Online and virtual engagement activities are increasingly important for all of these purposes.
The Office works closely with all the academic faculties and other support service units on campus to nurture and build a caring, supportive, and inclusive network that aims for the best possible student transition from high school into their university life in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. As the only university in the Province, UPEI plays a significant role in community growth in the province. The Recruitment Office not only aligns its functions with the institutional transformation but also with the development and transformation of the larger communities in PEI. Excellence, diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our missions.
- Take a leading role in the digital recruitment plan. Research, review and evaluate data through various channels to adapt and develop recruitment and conversion plans through the use of social media, webinars, and other virtual recruitment formats
- Develop and conduct recruitment-based activities within Canada and Internationally, coordinate domestic and international recruitment planning and activities including in-person and virtual/digital secondary and post-secondary school and community and agency visits and presentations
- Work directly with high schools and their counseling staff to support the transition of incoming students to UPEI
- Work directly with stakeholder groups that influence and support students in their decisions about pursuing post-secondary education (i.e. partner institutions, parents, other organizations, etc.)
- Nurture key relationships within high-yield schools, post-secondary institutions, community agencies, industry, and other critical organizations associated with potential student applicants
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive prospective communication map for targeted communication, electronic publications, and newsletters for various student populations and their promoters and influencers throughout the recruitment cycle, identifying and acting on gaps, barriers, and opportunities
- Provide admission and program information to a diverse range of prospective students and stakeholders
- Support incoming first year UPEI students in their transition to university through coordinated academic advising and registration support activities
- Work with the University recruitment team and other on-campus stakeholders in the development and delivery of recruitment initiatives (including promotional materials development, activities, events, and other engagement strategies)
- Other duties as required
The position is important to the development and delivery of the institution’s goals for student enrolment and vision for student success. As a member of the Office of Recruitment, First Year Advisement, and International Student Office, the incumbent will be expected to contribute to the overall delivery of supports and services to the UPEI student population.
- An undergraduate degree: preference is given to candidates with post-secondary experience at UPEI
- Strong, proved experiences in the use of social media and digital communication; previously executed social media communication projects
- Strong experience with public speaking and high comfort level of speaking to diverse groups (such as students, parents, school principals within and outside Canada, etc.); dynamic and energetic public speakers are strongly preferred
- Additional language skills are strong assets to communicate with a diverse group of students, parents, counselors, and other stakeholders; knowledge of and sensitivity about cross-culture communication
- Proven critical thinking, conflict resolution and collaborative decision-making skills
- Experience working with the public in a professional setting
- A thorough understanding of the needs and expectations of first year university students, particularly that of UPEI students, including what influences their decisions about choosing a postsecondary institution
- Knowledge of University programs, academic units, student supports and student life
- Ability to handle sensitive issues competently, independently
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in using technology (including social media platforms) that support student engagement activities
- Demonstrated experience analyzing data (particularly enrolment data) and working with data systems such as CRM
- Willingness and flexibility to travel and work irregular hours to accommodate various travel schedules and situations
- Demonstrated excellent judgment and creativity, and problem-solving skills
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Ability to carry boxes of promotional materials and display units
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.