ADS Level 4 - Administrative Assistant - School of Mathematical and Computational Sciences and Department of Physics - Faculty of Science
$45,394 to $49,916 per annum, as per CUPE 1870
As soon as possible for a one-year term (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
The School of Mathematical and Computational (SMCS) and Department of Physics require an Administrative Assistant to provide a wide variety of reception and support services for students and faculty in both units. The successful applicant will report directly to the Associate Dean of SMCS and the Chair of the Physics Department.
- Represent the programs as the initial point of personal and telephone contact with the public, faculty, students, and staff
- General office administration to assist faculty and students
- Respond to a variety of student inquiries and requests
- Receive and distribute incoming mail
- Prepare outgoing mail and couriers’ packages
- Scan and upload documents and maintain electronic storage of documents
- Create and maintain word documents and spreadsheets
- Maintain the administrative filing systems and mailing lists
- Responsible for maintaining inventory of office supplies
- Maintain on-line calendars, arrange appointments, schedule meetings, book rooms, and confirm appointments
- Provide assistance for the workshops, events, travel arrangements and/or accommodation reservations, and ordering food
- Organize and disseminate student opinion of teaching surveys
- Coordinate and record minutes of meetings and meeting follow up
- Other duties as may be required
- Grade 12 graduation and successful completion of a two-year post-secondary program in a related office program, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Experience working in an academic environment, taking meeting minutes, and completing forms for hiring and financial processes would be considered an asset
- Knowledge of Student Opinion of Teaching Survey (SOTS) processes would be considered an asset
- Excellent knowledge and skills in word processing, email, internet searching, and spreadsheets (Microsoft Office Suite, Google Docs, and Gmail)
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, oral and written
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be able to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment
- Experience in handling changing priorities
- Ability to interact with faculty, staff, and students in a professional and courteous manner
- Experience working with international students or in multicultural environments would be an asset
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.