Communications Officer - Department of Marketing and Communications
$67,930 to $75,314 per annum
The Department of Marketing and Communications is seeking applications for a Communications Officer position. Reporting to the Director of Communications and University Relations, the Communications Officer is responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies in support of the priorities of the University. The primary focus of the position is to promote the University and its programs to local, regional, national, and international audiences through the development and delivery of key internal and external messages using a variety of tactics and tools.
In addition to working closely with departmental colleagues, the successful candidate will collaborate with internal clients such as employees in other departments, faculties, and schools, and with other University stakeholders, including the media.
Implement Communications Strategies
- Assist and advise management on a variety of communications matters and issues by conducting daily media scans, and proactively identifying and acting on risks and opportunities
- Work with other members of the Marketing and Communications department team to contribute to University-wide communications strategies using a variety of traditional, digital, and social media channels
- Assist in the development of key and external messages and execute their delivery
- Keep up to date on trends with regard to messaging channels and social media platforms
- Participate in committees and working groups such as the UPEI Emergency Communications Team to achieve communications objectives
Conduct Media Relations Activities
- Serve as one of the University’s primary point of contacts for members of the media and freelance writers
- Field media calls, arrange interviews, or direct media to other departmental team members where appropriate
- Work closely with University offices, departments, and faculties to coordinate media relations and announcements, including the use of tactics such as news conferences and news releases
- Write and distribute news releases and manage their follow-up
- Liaise and nurture relations with media to seek coverage and pitch story ideas
- Establish and maintain lists of media contacts and key targets
- Assist faculties with distributing opinion-editorials (op-eds) to media outlets
- Assist in the delivery of media training to University management, staff, and faculty
Write and Edit Copy
- Assist with the writing, editing, and proofreading of external marketing and communications content (for publications, website, editorial information, news articles, social media messages, advertising, speaking notes, and feature stories)
- Assist with the writing, editing, and coordination of internal communications content including but not limited to managing news and event items on upei.ca, Campus Notices, and the Campus Connector e-newsletter
- Minimum of 3–5 years directly related experience, preferably in a complex organization with demonstrated success in strategic communications, media relations, and writing, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Proven experience in using a variety of communications tools, vehicles, and platforms to communicate with internal and external audiences, including media
- Demonstrated dedication to, and respect for the University, its goals and future
- Intense commitment to product quality and building exceptional relationships
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline (i.e., public relations, communications, journalism, English, business administration/commerce, etc.)
- Demonstrated written and oral communications skills
- Strategic, analytical, creative, and organizational skills
- Ability to recognize problems and provide solutions
- Ability to consult with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds
- Writing skills in various styles, i.e., editorial/news, social media, website, promotional materials, advertising
- Computer/technical skills, including familiarity with Windows and MacIntosh O/S, Office 365; website CMS platforms, i.e., Drupal; social media and social media management platforms, i.e., Loomly; use of digital equipment, i.e., A/V technology
- Flexibility, and ability to perform well under stress, to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and complete projects to deadline
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.