ADS Level 5 - Administrative Assistant - Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
$50,249 to $55,299 per annum as per CUPE 1870
The Psychology Department is seeking applications from qualified individual to provide administrative support services to the Chair of Psychology and the Department of Psychology.
This position involves contact with one of the largest academic departments at UPEI offering both a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. The successful applicant will report directly to the Chair of Psychology. The nature of this position requires an individual who is efficient in a multi-tasking work environment, has high levels of competencies in office-related computer technologies and all online UPEI systems, an ability to work independently, excellent analytical and planning abilities, strong motivation and sound interpersonal skills.
- Provide core operational and administrative support to the Chair and to a large faculty. These core functions include:
- Representing the Department of Psychology as the initial point of personal, electronic, and telephone contact presenting a professional and congenial image to the public, faculty, students and other university staff, especially when responding to student inquiries on program requirements, course offerings and timetable, etc.
- Assisting with the development of teaching schedules, curriculum and calendar changes
- Providing exceptional service to students, faculty and staff in a timely manner
- Establishing and maintaining a well-organized administrative departmental filing system and mailing lists for faculty and students
- Maintaining an email distribution list for students, faculty, and alumni
- Preparing and editing correspondence, reports, charts, spreadsheets, and statistics using software appropriate to the Psychology department with a strong Humanities and Science-based focus
- Organizing and recording the Chair’s agenda, including but not be limited to the arrangement of appointments, meetings, conferences, travel arrangements and itineraries for the Chair and guests of the Department of Psychology
- Monitoring and maintaining an up to date record of the Department’s budget, preparing requisitions and other forms to meet operational needs
- Monitoring and maintaining sufficient office supplies: tracking the ordering of all supplies and equipment
- Preparing meeting agendas, taking and composing minutes, assembling and distributing materials and tracking action items
- Maintaining sessional roster, preparing contracts and checklists according to FA regulations
- Coordinating student markers, preparing paperwork and approving bi-weekly timesheets
- Maintaining and monitoring Honours Student budgets; handling correspondence regarding Honours Students
- Organizing and disseminating student opinion of teaching surveys every semester
- Coordination of preparing and setting up new offices and research rooms; administering all room bookings and classroom changes
- Performing other related duties as assigned
- Successful completion of Grade 12
- Post-secondary education in an administrative assistant program with two years related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Skills in office management and proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Moodle, E-Mail usage, myUPEI, Google docs, knowledge of PowerPoint, Internet searches and data management programs considered an important asset
- Demonstrate superior customer service orientation and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills are essential
- Strong time-management, organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and establish priorities in a fast paced multi-tasking environment
- Able to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- Familiarity with the BA/BSc requirements and some experience dealing with graduate students an asset. Previous experience in research grants considered an asset
- Knowledge of UPEI operations, its regulations and policies is an important asset
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.