MTS Level 6 - Registered Veterinary Technician - Ambulatory Equine Service/Large Animal Hospital Float - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary College
$56,709 to $62,366 per annum, as per CUPE 1870
As soon as possible to September 1, 2023 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
Do you want to join a dynamic team practicing and teaching the highest standards of Veterinary Medicine? Do you want to advance your technical skills and work in an environment supporting primary care clinicians and veterinary specialist experts across a large animal caseload? Do you want to be part of training and shaping the next generation of veterinarians? If so, we’d love to have you join us! The Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) is seeking a Registered Veterinary Technician to join in a full-time term position with the flexibility and initiative to float between the Ambulatory Equine Service (AES) and Large Animal Hospital (LAH) providing technical duties in support of patient care and hospital operations.
This position will have primary responsibilities in the Ambulatory Equine Service and Large Animal Hospital with secondary responsibilities within the VTH:
Ambulatory Equine Service and Large Animal Hospital duties:
- Working within a team to undertake technical duties and responsibilities in support of patient and client care across the Ambulatory Equine Service (AES) and Large Animal Hospital (LAH)
- Completing and assisting with treatment and monitoring orders for patients
- Performing necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required (including triage of urgent and emergency presentations, animal handling, restraint, and basic husbandry)
- Monitoring progression of hospitalized patients and reporting to the clinician any abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or monitoring of their care and well-being
- Maintaining detailed and accurate patient medical records
- Accurately maintaining and updating patient billing and working with clinicians and client services staff to ensure that patient bills are completed and paid prior to patient discharge
- Monitoring, advising, and assisting veterinary students working in the VTH, and veterinarians participating in post-graduate programs
- Supporting client services staff in ensuring an excellent client experience, including answering triage calls and taking payments
- Supporting clinicians and VTH interns/residents with client communication (including discussing estimates, consent forms, and client education/care)
- Ensuring safe administration of medications, treatments, and procedures to healthy and compromised patients
- Assisting with diagnostic workups and procedures including administering sedation and monitoring patients under sedation, including taking radiographs and laboratory samples
- Stocking and maintaining supplies, including reconciliation of Cubex inventory cabinets, in various hospital locations
- Assisting AES clinicians by providing proper restraint and handling, which may be physically demanding
- Assisting with the AES in New Brunswick with multi-day travel requirements to New Brunswick on a monthly basis
- Working with technicians and clinicians in the LAH to anticipate, organize, and prioritize case management plans
- Assisting as required with other areas of the VTH in support of efficient and high standards of patient and client care
- Maintaining a high standard of cleanliness and biosecurity standards and other related technician duties as assigned
- Must be willing to participate in a schedule including irregular hours and evening/weekend/holiday work
- Must be willing to be assigned in an on-call schedule that may be required for hospital operations
- Participate in the training of veterinary students, technician students and post-graduate program veterinarians with confidence and support
- Maintain collegial and professional interactions and communication with colleagues, students, and clients at all times
- Maintain safe, respectful, professional, and ethical conduct, handling, and interactions with patients and during patient care as befitting a veterinary teaching hospital environment and in accordance with veterinary regulatory bodies
- Must be a graduate of an Animal Health Technician program from a recognized facility
- Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) designation is required
- Demonstrated experience and ability with handling large animals is required
- Experience in a clinical setting with large animal patients is preferred
- Experience working with patients in an equine ambulatory clinical setting is preferred
- Excellent technical proficiency with experience and confidence with nursing and handling large animal patients, placing catheters, and administering IV fluids, performing sample collection, patient preparation and assistance for large animal surgical/medical procedures, assisting with diagnostic procedures including administering sedation and monitoring sedated patients, performing patient assessments, and administering required treatments
- Must possess strong work ethic and accountability with demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills with colleagues and clients, with experience working in a teaching environment an asset
- Demonstrated experience in inputting, maintaining, and reviewing patient billing
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated ability in Windows and iOS Operating Systems
- Previous experience with electronic medical records is required, with preference given to applicants with knowledge of RxWorks and Smart Flow
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.