Student Assistant - L.M. Montgomery Institute (LMMI) - Faculty of Arts
$16.10 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
As soon as possible to September 30, 2022 (With possibility of extension)
The L.M. Montgomery Institute (LMMI) (https://www.lmmontgomery.ca/) is seeking an undergraduate Research Assistant to support its online multimedia Journal of L.M. Montgomery Studies (https://journaloflmmontgomerystudies.ca). The Journal of L.M. Montgomery Studies is the only journal dedicated to L.M. Montgomery (1874–1942). One of the world’s most enduring writers, Montgomery is the author of Anne of Green Gables, among other works of fiction, as well as poetry, letters, and journals. The Journal of L.M. Montgomery Studies is a refereed, open-access digital space. Its mandate is to publish intriguing, highly original, rigorously researched scholarship, as well as creative, multimedia, and other innovative work on all aspects of L.M. Montgomery’s life, influences, work, and legacy. The journal’s scope is interdisciplinary and international. The journal is aimed at Montgomery scholars and the broad community of Montgomery enthusiasts. The journal is the official scholarly publication of the L.M. Montgomery Institute (LMMI) at the University of Prince Edward Island.
The successful candidate for this position will contribute to the development of the Journal of L.M. Montgomery Studies. The student will provide editorial support, manage files and correspondence, anonymize submissions, liaise with journal stakeholders (e.g., authors, editorial board members), upload submissions to the journal website, format submissions on the journal website, and create multimedia exhibits to enhance submissions.
The student will enhance their knowledge of publishing, as well as of Canadian and PEI history, literature, arts, and culture.
- Contribute to the development of the online, open access, multimedia Journal of L.M. Montgomery Studies at the University of Prince Edward Island’s L.M. Montgomery Institute
- Provide editorial support
- Manage files (emails, submissions, queries) in email
- Monitor editorial board members’ and peer reviewers’ work (e.g., maintaining records in Excel of deadlines, work assignments, sending reminders of deadlines, etc.)
- Acknowledge submissions, peer review reports, other correspondence via email
- Send out and manage peer review reports via email
- Anonymize submissions to prepare for peer review
- Liaise in person and online with local, national, and international collaborators/partners (editors, editorial board, authors, copyright holders, web developers, UPEI staff, proofreaders)
- Develop expertise in technical aspects of the journal website
- Upload multi-media submissions to the journal website
- Format submissions in line with the journal’s style guide
- Assist contributors to create multimedia/digital exhibits to better display their work (e.g., online exhibit of photography)
- Locate or create multimedia to accompany submissions
- Perform other duties as required
- UPEI Student, continuing as student in 2022-23 academic year
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Highly motivated and responsible
- The ability to work independently and be well organized
- Willingness to learn new digital tools
- Comfort with technology/digital tools is desirable
- Experience working closely with others
- Familiarity with the life and/or work of L.M. Montgomery and with Prince Edward Island/Atlantic Canadian literature and/or history is desirable
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.