MTS Level 5 - Library Technician - Robertson Library
$47,039 to $51,795 per annum, as per CUPE 1870
The Robertson Library is seeking applicants to work with the Library’s Circulation/Metaliteracy & Student Engagement Units. Reporting to the University Librarian and working in close consultation with the Metaliteracy & Student Engagement Librarian, the successful candidate will provide front line support for library users, undertake assigned projects, and support the work of the Metaliteracy & Student Engagement Unit. The applicant will be expected to demonstrate good communication ability, sound judgement, flexibility, and initiative.
- Work regularly scheduled shifts on the Service Desk to provide front line support to library users
- Implement library policies
- Assist library users locating and using library materials, services, and technology (e.g. copiers, printers, scanners)
- Circulate and check-in library resources, laptops, etc.
- Provide information/reference service both in-person, by telephone, and online via the Library’s virtual chat service
- Supporting the maintenance of library collections including retrieving, moving, deaccessioning, and shelving library materials
- Conduct tours as require
- Produce and post content to the library website or social media channels
- Assist with creation of instructional resources
- Collaborate on planning and implementing outreach activities
- Help train and supervise student assistant
- Participate in projects as assigned
- A Library Technician Diploma or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience
- At least two years’ experience in an automated library environment
- Effective technology skills including proficiency with spreadsheets (Excel, Google Sheets) and other MS Office/Google applications
- Experience using social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linktree)
- Experience providing high quality customer service
- Able to perform bending/lifting, and to safely handle/shelve heavy items
- Able to work day, evening, and weekend shifts as scheduled
Would be considered an asset:
- Bachelor's degree from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Work experience in a university library
- Experience using Camtasia or similar software
- Event planning experience
- An open attitude towards new technology and learning
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.