Activity Assistants (Up to 10 Positions) - Explore Program - Experiential Education and English Language Centre - Student Experience Hub
$6,998 (12-week term). Room and board is provided (as a taxable benefit) in addition to the salary. Room is as follows: May 16 to Aug 7, 2022. Board is as follows: Three meals per day at the Dining Hall during the actual program dates, (Seven days a week from May 23 to June 24; July 4 to August 5) as a taxable benefit.
$3,499 June 27 to Aug 5, 2022 (6-week term). Room and board are provided (as a taxable benefit) in addition to the salary. Room is as follows: June 27 to Aug 5, 2022Board is as follows: Three meals per day at the Dining Hall during the actual program dates, (Seven days a week from July 4 to August 5) as a taxable benefit.
This competition will be used to staff both the Spring and Summer programs. Fewer positions are available for the Spring session. Full term activity assistants will be hired for the period of May 16, 2022 to August 5, 2022. Additional positions will be added for the Summer Program June 27, 2022 – August 5, 2022.
Two Explore Programs will be offered in 2022 for Canadian and International students. A spring program for those 19 years of age and older and a summer program from those 16 – 17 years of age. Participants have formal EAL lessons during weekday mornings and organized socio-cultural activities during weekday afternoons, evenings, and weekends. Activity assistants are responsible for assisting with the operation of the program's socio-cultural activities and the supervision of its participants. Activity assistants also organize two 3-hour workshops each week. Activity assistants must be available to work evenings and weekends as this is a live-in position.
*Please note that the program is currently planned to be held entirely in-person. However, should the CPHO and the university implement new measures and restrictions due to an increase in COVID-19 cases, the program would switch to an online format. Staff would be expected to work from the campus in Charlottetown
The Activity Assistants report directly to the Activity Coordinator and have the following responsibilities:
- Assist with the organization and supervision of the Program's socio-cultural activities, including student orientation
- Uphold and reinforce the rules and regulations of the Explore Program by acting as a role model
- Administering disciplinary measures during situations of misconduct
- Live in residence and eat meals with students for the duration of the program
- Participate in staff meetings and coordinate events with teaching staff and coordinators
- Plan and execute 2 weekly workshops on themes such as the environment. Evaluate workshop participants
- Evaluate the enthusiasm and participation of students as part of their individual final mark
- Provide emotional support for student participants
- Other duties as assigned by the Activity Coordinator
- Experience organizing and implementing events and/or team-oriented activities
- Completion of two years of post-secondary study or equivalent experience
- Leadership experience, preferably within a residential or camp setting
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency in English and strong interpersonal skills
- Experience working with adults / youth
- Experience working, studying, or volunteering in cross-cultural settings
- Experience with conducting activities online for a group of students and using online platforms such as zoom
- Current criminal record check (must include Vulnerable Sector), First Aid and CPR certification
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience learning a second language
- Conversational French
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.