Student Research Assistant - Department of Biology - Faculty of Science
$16.10 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
May 8, 2022 – August 19, 2023
The Murphy Laboratory in the Department of Biology is seeking a summer student to help perform quantitative proteomics experiments, analyse proteomics datasets, and generate a web-based tool to visualize and explore proteomics datasets.
This employment position is funded by an NSERC Discovery Grant. More information about the Murphy Laboratory can be found at: https://projects.upei.ca/murphylab/
- Perform sample preparation related to quantitative proteomics of E.coli, including protein concentration assays, tryptic digest, labeling with stable isotope-coded reagents, solid phase extraction, and high-performance liquid chromatography
- Conduct database searches of mass spectrometry data using established proteomics database searching algorithms
- Organize and analyze quantitative proteomics data using the R programming language
- Develop a user-friendly quantitative proteomics dataset viewer using Shiny R package
- Perform validation of quantitative proteomics data by Western blotting
- Completed at least 2 years towards an undergraduate degree in biological science or related field by the start date of the position
- Proficiency using the R programming language in a biological or health-related research setting
- Basic experience in the growth and manipulation of cultured E.coli
- Basic experience in laboratory manipulations (pipetting, weighing, buffer preparation, etc.)
- Experience in performing Western blotting to quantify proteins
- Demonstrated skills in searching and interpreting scientific literature
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint or comparable software
- Experience working in a team and/or training environment
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.