Project Manager - Information Technology Systems and Services
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
UPEI requires an experienced Project Manager to lead the campus in a series of application and infrastructure technology renewal projects. The application renewal projects will focus on process redesign, change management, and technology acquisition, implementation, and optimization. Infrastructure renewal projects will focus on data protection, flexibility, scalability, sustainability, manageability, and seamless integration of teaching and learning, research, and administration technologies in and outside the classroom while ensuring daily operations continue throughout the changes.
Reporting to the CIO and as a member of the IT Systems and Services management team, the project manager accomplishes project objectives by planning and monitoring project activities. The project manager/leader works in close collaboration with ITSS staff, staff across campus and vendors/consultants to ensure the project stays on track from all aspects of the delivery.
Strategy & Planning
- Confirm project scope, goals and deliverables that support the university's goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders
- Conduct project post-mortems and create a recommendations report to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management for deployment with other projects
Acquisition & Deployment
- Confirm estimates of resources and participants needed to achieve project goals
- Confirm budget proposals and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary
- In accordance with UPEI procurement policy, create and conduct RFQs and/or RFPS for the delivery of goods and services in the deployment of the project(s)
- Where required, negotiate with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the organization
- Advise on the need for adjustments in staff and/or consultants and assist in the appropriate recruitments if necessary, during project cycle
Work with university IT managers and vendors/consultants to:
- Direct and manage project development from beginning to end
- Develop full-scale project plans and associated communications documents
- Drive project execution: track project activities to ensure delivery, monitor & handle changes, conflicts & escalations
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyze results, and utilize the Continuous Improvement process in project deliverables
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation, process documentation, operational metrics and reporting and campus/stakeholder/executive presentations
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential issues and risks, and devise contingency plans
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work
- Create executive & stakeholder communications to build stakeholder confidence & trust, ensure project progress arranging meetings & campus events and communications
Formal Education & Certification
- University degree in the field of Computer Science or Network Engineering and/or University degree in Business Management
- Certifications in process improvement, PMP, Lean Six Sigma and/or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
Knowledge & Experience
- Demonstrable and referenceable experience with project management of implementing large scale enterprise application and/or infrastructure projects
- Experience within a post-secondary institution would be considered an asset
- Certification from a recognized project management institution (i.e., PMP certification) would be considered an asset, and at least 5 years of proven project management in an IT environment at the enterprise level
- Knowledge of hosted and on-premises enterprise application ERP, reporting and infrastructure technologies
- Experience in leading organizational change management
- Technically competent with various software programs, such as MS Project, Process Modeling, Tableau, MS Office
- Demonstrated experience in personnel management
- Flexible during times of change
- Ability to read communication styles of team members and contractors who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks is crucial
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Over-time may be required to meet project deadlines
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices and objects
- Physically able to participate in training sessions, presentations, and meetings
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.