Casual ADS Level 5 - Client Services Representative - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary College
$26.70 per hour, plus 4% vacation pay as per CUPE 1870
Casual, as needed
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital at the Atlantic Veterinary College is seeking applicants to work as client services representatives on a casual basis for the daytime specialty/referral hospital and the primary care emergency service at the VTH.
The VTH provides primary care services and specialty referral services for small and large animals across PEI and the Maritimes. During weekdays, the Client Services Representatives are scheduled between the hours of 7am - 5pm.
The primary care emergency clinic provides after hours emergency coverage to veterinary clinics across Prince Edward Island, and as such is staffed by TRIAGE receptionists on weekends from 8am-11pm and evenings 7 days a week, from 5pm to 11pm.
The Client Services Representatives of the VTH are responsible for answering phone calls (many of which will be of an urgent/emergent nature) and triaging those phone calls appropriately. They are also responsible for receiving patients as they present to the hospital for scheduled appointments and unscheduled emergencies, and for collecting payments for procedures performed.
- Answer and direct emergency calls that come in through the main VTH phone lines
- Process hospital admissions, many of which are emergency admissions
- Maintain professional interaction during emotional/stressful situations
- Generate invoices and process payments
- Assist in setting up external financing for clients as needed
- Maintain accurate medical records
- Assemble discharge information and communicate with the referring clinics about patients that have come in or called overnight
- Schedule appointments
- Maintain client financial accounts within the confines of hospital financial policies
- Interact with and facilitate communication between clients, referring veterinarians, students, and hospital staff
- Comfortable working independently and/or alone at night
- Grade 12 graduation plus completion of a recognized post-secondary program in a related area or equivalent experience is required (recognized fields would be veterinary medicine, veterinary technology, business/accounting)
- Minimum of two (2) years relevant work experience in a veterinary clinic, or an equivalent combination of work and training experience, with preference given to those who have done veterinary emergency reception work
- Business/Accounting/Cash handling experience
- Strong computer and word processing abilities with experience using electronic medical records being an asset
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated abilities in customer service and reception skills
- Medical terminology diploma or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure/intense emergency situations
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.