Casual MTS Level 6 - Animal Health Technician - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary College
$28.97 per hour, plus 4% vacation pay as per CUPE 1870
Casual, as needed
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital at the Atlantic Veterinary College requires Animal Health Technicians to work on a casual, as needed, basis to support the Small Animal and Large Animal Hospitals during peak times and busy periods, which may include weekdays, weekends and UPEI closures, and to replace technical staff leaves, as required.
Under supervision, job responsibilities will include:
- Working with a team to undertake technical duties and responsibilities in support of patient and client care across the small and large animal hospitals
- Completing and assisting with treatment and monitoring orders for patients
- Performing necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required (including triage of urgent and emergency presentations, animal handling, restraint, and basic husbandry)
- Monitoring progression of hospitalized patients and reporting to the clinician any abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or monitoring of their care and well-being
- Maintaining detailed and accurate patient medical records
- Accurately maintaining and updating patient billing and working with clinicians and client services staff to ensure that patient bills are completed and paid prior to patient discharge
- Monitoring, advising, and assisting veterinary students working in the VTH, and veterinarians participating in post-graduate programs
- Supporting client services staff in ensuring excellent customer service, including answering triage calls, taking payments
- Supporting clinicians and VTH interns/residents with client communication (including discussing estimates, consent forms, and client education)
- Ensuring safe administration of medications, treatments, and procedures to healthy and compromised patients
- Assisting with diagnostic procedures including administering sedation, monitoring patients under sedation, including for diagnostic imaging
- Maintaining a high standard of cleanliness and biosecurity standards and other related technician duties as assigned
- Must be a graduate of an Animal Health Technician program from a recognized facility
- RVT designation is preferred
- Three (3) years of work experience with small animals
- Experience with large animals would be considered an asset
- Excellent technical proficiency with experience placing catheters and administering IV fluids, performing sample collection (blood/urine), assisting with diagnostic procedures, performing patient assessments, and administering required treatments
- Experience in a hospital/emergency/critical care setting is preferred
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated ability in Windows and iOS Operating Systems
- Experience with electronic medical records, including with billing, is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be self-motivated and accountable to yourself, the patients, and your team
- Experience and/or willingness to work flexible shifts (including night work) preferred
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.