Student Assistant - Department of Companion Animals - Atlantic Veterinary College
$16.10 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
May 9, 2022 to June 24, 2022
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the Atlantic Veterinary College is seeking applications for one (1) temporary student research assistant position. This position is required to work in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital under the direction of Dr. Cate Creighton, Associate Professor, to gather data from anesthetized horses.
- Places novel pulse oximeter probe on anesthetized horses
- Collects data provided by novel pulse oximeter probe during anesthesia
- Collects data from standard pulse oximeter probe and arterial blood gases during anesthesia
- Analyzes and interprets test data
- Must be UPEI Student
- The successful candidate must be proficient at background research, attention to detail, technical communication and creative problem solving
- The successful candidate will have an aptitude in some of the following areas: use of anesthesia monitoring equipment, ability to work in an operating theatre, safety involved in working with horses, data acquisition and recording and analyzing information
- Additional requirements include good academic standing, competence in both self-directed and team environments, and motivation for tackling new challenges
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.