Student Assistants (Up to 3 Positions) - Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering
$16.10 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
May 2 - August 12, 2022
The Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering (FSDE) is currently seeking up to three engineering students to work on the Canadian CubeSat Project (CCP) over the summer of 2022. The CCP is a national initiative that offers student design teams at universities and colleges across Canada the unique opportunity to design and build their own miniature satellite called a CubeSat. The FSDE SpudNik-1 team is developing an innovative CubeSat-based imaging system for acquiring spatio-temporal data from agricultural fields in PEI. The sensing system, which is integrated into a 2U CubeSat structure (10 cm X 10 cm X 20 cm), will be capable of capturing high resolution (2 – 10 m on the ground) soil and crop data in a non-destructive way using visible-band image data.
The successful candidates will work on the final design of the various subsystems that make up the satellite. These include
- The communications subsystem including the ground station
- The power subsystem: solar cells, batteries, power management
- The optical payload
- The onboard computer and attitude control system
- The overall structure and assembly
- Preference will be given to Sustainable Design Engineering students who will be entering their final year of studies in September 2022
- The ideal candidate will be proficient in the use of a range of engineering tools including Solidworks and Matlab
- As the project is entering its final stages of manufacturing, assembly, and testing, hands-on skills in electronic assembly, microcontrollers, and/or mechanical manufacturing are a definite asset
- Students who have already contributed to the CubeSat project as part of their undergraduate studies are encouraged to apply
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require all students, staff, and faculty to comply with the Covid 19 attestation and vaccination requirements as set out under the UPEI Covid 19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.