Network Research Project Manager - Applied Human Sciences - Faculty of Science (Grant Funded)
May 1, 2019 to April 30, 2020 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The PEI Strategies for Patient Oriented Research (SPOR) -- Primary and Integrated Health Care Innovation Network (Network) will create the infrastructure for a learning/knowledge network in primary health care that will address patient oriented issues across the lifespan (i.e. child, adult, seniors). Led by a tripartite leadership team that includes the dimensions of policy, research, and clinical application, our vision is to create a vibrant and productive patient-oriented research community in PEI that is linked regionally and nationally to deliver more integrated, cost-effective primary and integrated health care that leads to improved health outcomes for Islanders. Utilizing a collaborative approach engaging our partners, we will focus on innovative evidence-based initiatives that promote efficient and effective care to meet today’s challenges.
The ideal candidate will be motivated by the challenge to develop a unique patient-oriented research network in PEI, partnering with the other Atlantic Canada networks, as well as Networks throughout Canada when appropriate.
The successful candidate will be an experienced project manager with excellent organizational and communication skills.
Reporting to the PIHcI Network Principal Investigator, the successful candidate will be expected to perform the following duties:
• Provide project management for various health-related projects including budget and contract development, monitoring milestones and deliverables, tracking, reporting, communicating with partners, assisting with human resource needs, and assisting the principal investigator with organizing strategic planning activities and delivery of research programs
• Facilitate interaction and communication among SPOR PEI Executive Committee, PIHcI Network Operations Management Committee, researchers, clinicians, staff, and patients
• Assist researchers and staff with the completion of forms that are required for ethics submissions, project approvals, and purchasing
• Assist team members with the logistical development and submission of proposals
• Coordinate with the PEI Maritime SPOR Support Unit on matters of training, patient engagement and data access
• Align funding requirements with appropriate funding opportunities
• Responsible to manage the contract approval process from initiation to contract execution, liaising with UPEI’s administrative departments, academic collaborators, and funding partners
• Liaise with UPEI’s Research Services to identify and prepare required agreements and amendments
• Track contract progress, milestones, deadlines and budgets, prepare appropriate communications and advise Principal Investigators of upcoming deadlines and arising issues
• Compile reports for review and submit approved reports
• Analyze the main types of contracts that are relevant to a research administrator and choose appropriate contract option.
Budgets / Finance
• Responsible to manage project budgets and accounts for grants and projects, including preparation of annual budget, quarterly budget updates/projections, itemized statements of spending
• Liaise with UPEI’s Research Accounting Office to review claims, track ongoing grants and secured contributions from external funders, flag concerns to Principal Investigator and take appropriate action for follow-up
• Communicate directly with project sponsors re financial commitments
• Purchase required supplies and equipment and ensure expenses are recorded accurately and in a timely fashion
• Manage detailed project budgets that are aligned with project timelines and total costing
• In cooperation with the Principal Investigator, responsible for the hiring process including completing required HR forms and liaise with appropriate resources for ongoing personnel issues
• Supervise and provide guidance to administrative support staff as they are hired
• Track the graduate students enrolled in the Atlantic Regional Training Centre Masters of Applied Health Services Research program
• Candidates require a degree in a related field preferable Accounting and or Business Administration
• A Certificate in Research Administration is desirable but not mandatory
• Minimum 3 years relevant experience in a project management role or a combination of experience and education
• Familiarity with University processes and policies and external funding organizations is an asset
The ideal candidate’s previous work experience will demonstrate:
• Experience with managing multiple projects; e.g., planning projects, managing and tracking schedules and milestones, keeping accurate records, preparing and reporting on budgets, expenditures, and budget forecasts, as well as procurement, contracts and the human resources process
• Experience in collaborative, multi-partner environments
• Experience organizing events, workshops, multi-stakeholder meetings
• Experience working with federal and provincial funding agencies
• Excellent written, verbal and inter-personal communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills and time management skills
• Demonstrated computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets applications, charts/graphs, basic web site maintenance, financial or budgeting programs
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email..
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.