ADS Level 5 - Administrative Assistant - Department of Chemistry - Faculty of Science
$45,224 to $49,769 per annum as per CUPE 1870
The Chemistry Department is seeking a qualified individual to provide administrative support services to the Chair of Chemistry and the Department of Chemistry.
The successful applicant will report directly to the Chair of Chemistry. The nature of this position requires an individual who is efficient in a multi-tasking work environment, has high levels of competencies in office-related computer technologies and all online UPEI systems, an ability to work independently, excellent analytical and planning abilities, strong motivation and sound interpersonal skills.
- Provide core operational and administrative support to the Chair and to the faculty which includes the Faculty of Science Graduate Studies Coordinator and a Canada Research Chair
- Representing the Department of Chemistry as the initial point of personal, electronic, and telephone contact presenting a professional and congenial image to the public, faculty, students and other university staff, especially when responding to student inquiries on program requirements, course offerings and timetable, etc.
- Assisting with the development of teaching schedules, curriculum and calendar changes
- Providing exceptional service to students, faculty and staff in a timely manner
- Establishing and maintaining a well-organized administrative departmental filing system and mailing lists for faculty
- Maintaining an email distribution list for students, faculty, and alumni Preparing and editing correspondence, reports, charts, spreadsheets, and statistics
- Organizing and recording the Chair’s agenda, including but not be limited to the arrangement of appointments, meetings, conferences, travel arrangements and itineraries for the Chair and guests of the Department of Chemistry and Molecular and Macromolecular Sciences Doctor of Philosophy Program
- Monitoring and maintaining an up to date record of the Department’s budget, preparing requisitions and other forms to meet operational needs
- Monitoring and maintaining sufficient office supplies: tracking the ordering of all supplies and equipment
- Preparing meeting agendas, taking and composing minutes, assembling and distributing materials and tracking action items
- Maintaining sessional roster, preparing contracts and checklists according to FA regulations
- Coordinating student markers, preparing paperwork and approving bi-weekly timesheets
- Organizing and disseminating student opinion of teaching surveys every semester
- Coordination of preparing and setting up new offices and research rooms; administering all room bookings and classroom changes
- Performing other related duties as assigned
- Post-secondary education in an administration assistant program with two years related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Skills in office management and proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Moodle, E-Mail usage, myUPEI, knowledge of PowerPoint, Internet searches and data management programs considered an important asset
- Demonstrate superior customer service orientation and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills are essential
- Strong time-management, organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and establish priorities in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment
- Able to maintain confidentiality and discretion
- Familiarity with the BSc requirements and some experience dealing with graduate students an asset.
- Knowledge of UPEI operations, its regulations and policies is an important asset
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.