ADS Level 5 - Administrative Assistant - Palmer Conference on Public Sector Leadership - Office of the Vice President Academic and Research
As soon as possible until November 1, 2019
The Office of Vice-President Academic and Research is seeking an Administrative Assistant to provide administrative support for the planning, organizing, and follow-up of the 6th Palmer Conference on Public Sector Leadership, which will be held August 14-15, 2019. The candidate will be a professional with demonstrated skills in project coordination, research administration, priority setting, and time management. Reporting to the Conference Coordinator (Dr. Don Desserud), the ideal candidate is highly self-motivated and has demonstrated excellence in the management of projects, conferences and other similar events in a university or NGO setting.
Under the direction of the Conference Coordinator, the Palmer Conference Administrative Assistant will:
- Liaise with internal and external marketing and PR colleagues to promote the event
Communicate (via telephone, email, regular mail, and other means as necessary) with all conference stakeholders and vendors, including but not limited to:
- invited speakers, delegates, inquirers
- potential and actual sponsors
- relevant government officials and figures
- internal UPEI stakeholders (departments such as finance, research, legal, decanal, conference services, communications, as well as faculty and staff as required)
- translators as well as video and sound services
- external vendors for contract development, implementation and tracking of deliverables
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of conference-related literature
- Maintain the conference budget and review of sponsor claims and financial reports
- Liaise with UPEI events management and the Travel Store regarding venue, accommodation and travel bookings
- Prepare delegate packs
- Be physically present throughout the entire event to handle client’s needs and queries and to make sure that the event runs smoothly
- Coordinate and supervise conference volunteers, including students
- Provide liaison services between with video, sound, and translation services, and UPEI IT services
- Collect feedback from speakers/resource persons and delegates
- Oversee the dismantling and removal of all items, structures, equipment brought in for the event from the venue, and liaise with UPEI Physical Plant services to ensure such dismantling
- Continue managing budget and ensuring vendors and speakers’ expenses are paid
- Assist the Conference Coordinator in the preparation of a post-evaluation of the event
- Prepare final financial and written reports for funders
- Applicants will hold an undergraduate degree or completion of a post-secondary program in Office Administration and have a minimum of two (2) years’ experience managing events/conferences involving stakeholders and guests
- Experience in maintaining budgets and contracts preferably gained from working in a university department or faculty setting
- Experience working with university, government, and community agencies will be considered an asset
- Excellent written, verbal, and inter-personal communication skills
- Familiarity of UPEI processes, systems, and regulations will be considered an asset
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.