ADS Level 5 - Client Services Receptionist - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary College
$50,249 to $55,299 per annum, prorated to time and term as per CUPE 1870
As soon as possible for Six (6) Month Term (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital at the Atlantic Veterinary College is seeking applicants to fill an Emergency Services Reception term position, to staff the new primary care emergency clinic at the VTH.
The primary emergency clinic provides after hours emergency coverage to veterinary clinics across Prince Edward Island, and as such is staffed by TRIAGE receptionists weekday evenings from 5-11pm.
The Emergency Services Reception team members are responsible for answering after-hours phone calls (many of which will be of an urgent/emergent nature) and triaging those phone calls appropriately to the staff working in the hospital. They are also responsible for receiving patients after hours, many of which will be unstable, and for collecting payments for procedures performed.
- Answer and direct emergency calls that come in through the main VTH phone lines
- Process hospital admissions, many of which are emergency admissions
- Maintain professional interaction during emotional/stressful situations
- Generate invoices and process payments
- Assist in setting up external financing for clients as needed
- Maintain accurate medical records
- Assemble discharge information and communicate with the referring clinics about patients that have come in or called overnight
- Schedule appointments
- Maintain client financial accounts within the confines of hospital financial policies
- Interact with and facilitate communication between clients, referring veterinarians, students, and hospital staff
- Comfortable working alone at night
- Grade 12 graduation plus completion of a recognized post-secondary program in a related area is required (recognized fields would be veterinary medicine, veterinary technology, business/accounting)
- Minimum of two (2) years relevant work experience in a veterinary clinic, or an equivalent combination of work and training experience, with preference given to those who have done veterinary emergency reception work.
- Business/Accounting/Cash handling experience
- Strong computer and word processing abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated abilities in customer service and reception skills
- Medical terminology diploma or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm under pressure/intense emergency situations
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.