Student Assistant- Department of Student Affairs and Accessibility Services
$13.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
ASAP – April 30, 2022
The Department of Student Affairs and Accessibility Services at UPEI is looking for a Student Assistant. The successful candidate will be working directly with Accessibility Services in assisting with both front desk responsibilities and the department’s exam invigilation requirements, as well as other duties as assigned.
This student staff will report to the Manager of Accessibility Services and will be required to work a flex schedule, which could include evenings and weekends.
- Staff the Front Desk as needed, answering the phone, booking appointments and responding to emails in a trained and professional manner, and other administrative duties as assigned
- Provide information about Student Affairs including services offered by Accessibility Services such as assistance with accessing note-taking, alternate formats for texts, tutoring support and specialty equipment in classrooms
- Develop educational materials and content for the Accessibility Services Instagram account
- Assist with administering UPEI and AVC exams for students registered with Accessibility Services in Robertson Library, Dalton Hall and AVC Testing Spaces
- Assist with providing accommodations needed for exams invigilated through Accessibility Services. For example scribing services, text to speech software, increased time to write the exam, low lighting and noise-cancelling headphones
- Ensure the academic integrity of exams when proctoring
- Complete proctor logs and tracking exams in Access Deck
- Maintain confidentiality
- The candidate will be pursuing at minimum a Bachelor’s degree. Preference is given to those pursuing Education, Psychology, Social Work, or a related field
- Experience using Kurzweil, Access Deck, Macintosh and PC computer systems are considered an asset
- The successful candidate will exhibit a high level of dependability and honesty and have excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience working with individuals with disabilities is an asset
- Mental Health First Aid certification preferred
- ASIST certification preferred
- Supervisory experience, as well as knowledge of the administration and coordination of exams, is an asset
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require mandatory full Covid-19 vaccination for all students, staff, and faculty. Exemptions only apply for medical, religious, or cultural reasons in accordance with the UPEI Covid-19 mandatory vaccination policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.