Emergency Veterinarian (Faculty Association #2) - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary College *Amended Closing Date*
The Veterinary Teaching Hospital (VTH) at the Atlantic Veterinary College (AVC), University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) invites applications for part-time or full-time primary care veterinarians to staff the after-hours primary care emergency service.
We are seeking two primary care veterinarians to fill 1.33 FTE positions. This would be comprised of a combination of one position at 0.33-0.67 FTE (working 1-2 shifts per week) and one position at 0.67-1.0 FTE (working 2-3 shifts per week).
The primary emergency service provides after hours and weekend emergency coverage to veterinary clinics across Prince Edward Island. This program is part of the clinical teaching program in the VTH and emergency clinicians will provide clinical teaching to fourth year students in emergency medicine.
These are term positions, including maternity cover, with possibility for extension subject to budgetary approval.
- Willingness to work nights and on weekends to provide urgent and emergency veterinary care
- Willingness to work with and oversee final year DVM students as part of the clinical year teaching program in emergency medicine
- Willingness to supervise the emergency service while on shift including managing staff, and oversee interns during the course of the shift
- TRIAGE, assess, and treat all emergency cases that come in through the service, including basic emergency surgical procedures
- Work with referral services within the VTH to ensure smooth transfer of referral level cases
- Ensure that the medical record has been completed and written communications are sent to the client’s regular practice prior to the start of that clinic’s regular business hours
- Ensure that clients are regularly updated with estimates and billing updates, and that billing is completed accurately prior to discharge and that payment is received
- Ensure clear and professional communication for case management with clients, colleagues and island veterinarians
- Ensure that the client has received adequate communication at discharge to know next steps for monitoring, at-home care (treatments), and follow up
- Adaptability and flexibility to work within and among a pre-established academic, specialty referral setting, and to manage the unpredictable caseload associated with emergency medicine
- Graduation from an accredited veterinary college resulting in DVM certification (or equivalent)
- Successful completion of the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE) resulting in a Certificate of Qualification from the CVMA (or equivalent)
- Eligibility for licensure and to practice veterinary medicine in Prince Edward Island
- A minimum of three years of emergency medicine experience in a veterinary primary care setting is preferred
- Experience in working both as a solo practitioner and as part of a team of veterinarians is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent computer skills in both windows and iOS applications, with experience in electronic medical records
- Preference given to individuals who have worked with DVM students in a significant mentorship or teaching capacity
Hours: Night shifts from 6:30pm until 8:30am (including 1 hour break)
Weekend Day shifts from 7:30am until 9:30pm (including 1 hour break)
Please indicate your preference of part time (1 or 2 shifts per week) or full time (3 shifts per week), as well as your availability, in your application.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications, prorated to FTE and term. Eligibility of Clinical Veterinary Professionals for benefits will be in accordance with the collective agreement.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
To apply, submit a letter of intent, a curriculum vitae and 3 written letters of reference to:
Dr. Heather Gunn McQuillan, Assistant Dean
Clinical and Professional Programming
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Atlantic Veterinary College
University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Avenue
Charlottetown, PE C1A 4P3
Amended closing date is December 14, 2020; however the competition will remain open until the positions are filled.