Student Research Assistants (Up tp 2 Positions) - Department of Physics - Faculty of Science
$15.75 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
ASAP – December 22, 2021
The Physics Department is seeking up to two (2) part-time research assistants to work under the supervision of Dr. Bill Whelan on a novel point-of-care technology for the rapid detection of SARS-CoV2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The technology is designed to be used in any remote location with minimal resources for testing. The student will conduct research focused on the evaluation of the different mechanical and optical components of the technology. Each ideal candidate will have an interest in working in a multi-disciplinary team.
- The student will design testing protocols and bench test specific components of the technology, focused on fluid dynamics and optics
- The student will work with researchers in Physics and Engineering to refine the technology based on test results
- The student will document tasks and research findings for scientific publication
- Enrolled in an undergraduate program in physics or engineering at UPEI
- Hands-on practical experience in laboratory experimentation
- Knowledge of fluid dynamics and optics
- Ability to work independently while maintaining close contact as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with DNA analysis techniques and gel electrophoresis is an asset
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI will require mandatory full Covid-19 vaccination for all students, staff, and faculty. Exemptions only apply for medical, religious, or cultural reasons in accordance with the UPEI Covid-19 mandatory vaccination policy.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.