MTS Level 5 - Medical Laboratory Assistant - Clinical Pathology Laboratory - Diagnostic Services - Atlantic Veterinary College
$50,249 to $55,299 per annum as per CUPE 1870
The Clinical Pathology Laboratory at the Atlantic Veterinary College requires a Medical Laboratory Assistant to provide primarily technical support with some clerical duties.
- Assists with sample analysis in the areas of hematology, chemistry cytology, and urinalysis
- Performs general equipment checks and maintenance
- Prepares/stores reagents, solutions, and stains to specifications
- Transports biological and other hazardous materials to Central Services and performs disinfection procedures according to standard operating procedures and CL2 requirements
- Enters laboratory samples into Laboratory Information Management System
- Prepares referral samples for shipping to referral laboratories in North America. Packages samples according to Transportation of Dangerous Goods guidelines
- Reviews invoices from referral laboratories for payment and verifies they match test requests before entering into Colleague to request payment. Scan invoices to Accounts Payables, Director and Lead technologist for Chemistry. Enter referral results into the Laboratory Information Management System (LMS) and has results verified by a Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT)
- Answer telephones and responds to callers’ requests and inquiries
- Maintains File room by filing reports, packaging reports for long term storage, preparing papers for shredding, and maintaining faxing lists and supplies for the photocopier
- Coordinates dates and agenda, and take minutes for Clinical Pathology meetings. Assists in updating procedures and protocols, as well as other reference information and communication
- Opens mail and distribute to appropriate areas
- Photocopies, scans, email and fax reports as required
- Other duties as required
- Successful completion of a Medical Laboratory Assistant Diploma from College recognized by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS)
- Successful completion of national CSLMS certification examination
- Must be registered with the CSMLS as a certified laboratory assistant
- Must have two years of technical experience in a medical/diagnostic laboratory
- Must have keyboarding experience
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.