MTS Level 6 - Organic Laboratory Instructor - Department of Chemistry - Faculty of Science
$51,038 to $56,129 per annum, as per CUPE 1870
As soon as possible to April 30, 2023 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding, and departmental requirements)
The Chemistry Department is seeking applications from qualified individuals for a 9-month Organic Laboratory Instructor position.
Administrative duties related to the routine operation of the undergraduate organic chemistry lab program including:
- Managing laboratory exemptions, waitlists, and registration questions from students
- Being a primary contact for student emails related to the organic laboratories prior to graduate student instructors being assigned
- Holding weekly information sessions with graduate student laboratory instructors and undergraduate teaching assistants to review critical lab, disposal, and safety procedures related to upcoming laboratories
- Working with students to find accommodations for missed labs by finding alternate lab slots they may be able to attend due to illness or schedule conflicts at their normally scheduled lab time
- Working with Faculty and graduate student lab instructors to ensure the fair and equal treatment and assessment of students and laboratory reports
- Daily set-up of chemicals, equipment and supplies for organic laboratories including:
- Preparing all solutions and standards
- Stocking lockers and supplies
- Maintaining inventory
- Assisting with laboratory instruction and with the development of new laboratories
- Managing the department's chemical inventory and hazardous waste disposal
- Developing safety procedures
- Other duties as required
Teaching of Organic Chemistry Laboratory sections: Up to three Chem 2410/2430 lab sections in the Fall 2022 semester and up to three total Chem 2420 and/or Chem3420 lab sections in the Winter 2023 semester. This will involve:
- Acting as supervisor of students for undergraduate laboratories
- Providing pre-lab instruction and guidance for completion of undergraduate labs
- Ensuring chemicals, solutions and equipment are used in the laboratory safely
- Following Standard Operating Procedures
- Marking of lab reports and submitting marks to course instructor
- Must have a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry
- Two years’ experience related to the duties of the position would be an asset
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relations
- Enthusiastic about laboratory teaching and be able to work independently
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
UPEI is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation and believes in providing a positive learning and working environment where every person feels empowered to contribute. UPEI is committed to the principle of equity in employment and encourages applications from underrepresented groups including women, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.