Associate Vice President, Facilities Management and Construction - Office of the Vice President Administration and Finance
Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Five (5) Year renewable term (term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The University of Prince Edward Island invites applications for the position of Associate Vice President Facilities Management and Construction. The successful candidate will be responsible for setting the vision, strategy and long-term management approach for Facilities Management and Construction at the University of Prince Edward Island. This includes directing the ongoing operations of capital planning, mechanical and electrical maintenance, general building maintenance, custodial operations, grounds, security, waste management and environmental sustainability initiatives.
- Provides strategic direction and oversight advice to the senior leadership team as it relates to the University’s physical infrastructure
- Oversees and directs the operations of the Facilities Management department to ensure that goals and objectives are met. Goals and objectives will not only support the University’s strategic plan but also be focused on the principal purpose of exceptional customer service
- Oversees all major construction projects, including architect and engineer selection, coordination of users committees, drafting of instructions to consultants, preparation of RFP’s or RFI’s etc. approval of all design phases, management of tender calls, financial and contract management and general monitoring of all phases of construction
- Oversees the Security and Parking division ensuring the division is achieving its annual goals and expectations while ensuring all legislative requirements are met in accordance with provincial statues
- Directs the financial management of the department, including the establishment and monitoring of budget control systems to ensure compliance with the University’s financial policies and procedures
- Provides management, direction, and leadership to the Facilities Management leaders, monitoring and evaluating staff performance and managing the staffing processes for management positions with the department
- University degree in Engineering or similar field of study or equivalent years of experience and education
- Additional training is preferred in the following areas: legal/contract law, land planning/development, risk management, financial management and budgeting, capital planning, government/ institutional practices, labour relations
- Leadership training/capabilities, negotiating skills and excellent communications qualifications (clear, precise writing and good oral/presentation skills)
- A minimum of 12 years’ experience in an architectural or engineering design environment with emphasis on the design, evaluation and operation of large multi-building institutional portfolios
- Extensive knowledge of project management and design, with demonstrated responsibility for customer service orientated delivery of full range of custodial, electrical, mechanical, facilities, grounds & environmental services including renovation and remodeling of existing facilities to accommodate changing institutional needs
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years managing staff in a unionized environment with demonstrated effective leadership, supervisory and management skills
- Comprehensive technical knowledge of building and infrastructure systems with knowledge of building codes and the ability to read architectural, electrical and mechanical drawings
- Effective organizational, problem-solving, planning and analytical skills
- Technical competence at a senior level in finance in order to oversee capital and operating budgets
- Fully competent in business related computer programs and able to produce a variety of documentation (reports; financial updates, presentations etc.) utilizing - word processing; spreadsheet; PowerPoint and project management packages
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a deep commitment to customer service, proven financial acumen and negotiation skills, and an innovative approach to problem solving
Additional Information may be found in the attached Job Description
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.