MTS Level 6 - Graphic Designer - Marketing and Communications
$54,497 to $59,958 per annum as per CUPE 1870
November 1, 2019 to October 31, 2021 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Graphic Designer is responsible for conceiving and creating visual, graphically designed media and materials across multiple communication platforms in support of the marketing and communication priorities of the University.
The position provides assistance to clients, colleagues, and external suppliers with regards to UPEI visual communications and branding.
- Designs, develops, and produces visual media for marketing, promotional, publicity, developmental purposes using a mix of creative skills, technical expertise, and institutional awareness
- Employs principles, practices, and techniques of graphic design, layout, and illustration, using computer graphics software programs to prepare sketches and graphic elements, producing artwork from concept to completion
- Employs principles and techniques of typesetting, colour correction, digital manipulation, printing and photography, printing processes (spot-colour and four-colour process), and understands the characteristics, uses, and limitations of various types of ink, paper stock, and other supplies, to result in a high quality product
- Sustains UPEI brand by assisting in the updating of visual identity elements, and assisting clients, stakeholders, and suppliers in the understanding of UPEI’s visual identity. Recommends (and assists with providing) solutions when visual identity is improperly used
- Meets with clients, when necessary, to glean more in depth understanding of overall message, goals, tone, audience, etc.
- Collaborates with other members of the Marketing and Communications team in the contextualization of projects within overall message, and identifying the goals, tone, audience, etc. for consideration within the creative process
- Determines specifications for each project based on client requirements
- Establishes and meets deadlines, monitoring and tracking projects to ensure proper workflow and timely completion
- Provides electronic or hard copy proofs for client review and approval
- May plan and direct photo shoots required for projects
- Files and organizes all electronic material and archives completed projects
- Evaluates product updates and installs and upgrades software and hardware when necessary
- Initiates self-training and identifies professional development opportunities
- College diploma in Graphic Design (2 years)
- Minimum two years’ experience in a professional design environment
- Demonstrated ability in Adobe Creative Suite with exceptional skills in Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator; experience in Bridge, Acrobat, and Lightroom
- Experience with font handling, file transfer, and pre-press protocols
- Familiarity with web, user experience and user interactive design principles; web content management systems; and major presentation software programs such as Powerpoint, Keynote etc.
- Proficient within the MacIntosh operating system
- Demonstrated creative, communication, and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail, and a commitment to quality control
- Ability to maintain respectful and cooperative interpersonal relationships, and work with individuals and groups collaboratively
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity and diplomacy in addressing the needs of a diverse client base
- Ability to multi-task, co-ordinate projects, and function professionally in a high pressure, deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to recognize problems and provide solutions
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.